Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aedwards07

Getting a 450f have a question about the 4 speed

9 posts in this topic

Well I am getting a 2006 to go along with my 04 250F.From what i understand the four speed is just missing first gear.Correct?SO...That would mean that like say if a crf450 does a jump in third I would do it in second?Can someone explain this 4speed thing to me.

Also I heard about the rumors that there will be a 5speed.What are the dissadvangages of having a 4speed?

Well I am getting a 2006 to go along with my 04 250F.From what i understand the four speed is just missing first gear.Correct?SO...That would mean that like say if a crf450 does a jump in third I would do it in second?Can someone explain this 4speed thing to me.

Also I heard about the rumors that there will be a 5speed.What are the dissadvangages of having a 4speed?

Well, IMO the 4-speed is great for wide open tracks mainly because of the wider ratio that you get when going with a 4-speed although anything other then a wide open track, you find yourself either too high of a gear or too low. Sure you can just pull the higher gear but dont expect to have your clutch last when you do that. The CRF450R, what a great bike it is except for the "so called, valve problems," It has the 5-speed as you know and the only changes is the gear ratio being closer. Also the CRF450 has a higher top-speed due mainly to that 5th gear. The extra gear isent like putting an extra gear on the YZ450 and have it go 25-mph faster you know. In some cases, you would do a jump in second on the YZF as aposed to 3rd on the CRF. But in other cases you would need to pull a higher gear to have the equal or higher speed needed to clear the same jump. Sorry if that doesnt make sense but its the best possible answer I could give.

The four speed covers 95% of the same speed range from first to fourth as the YZ426 5spd did from first to fifth. The gear ratio spacing is wider. If you had a 450 with a 426 transmission, and it was geared so first gear was the same as that in a 450 4spd, the 5spd would be about 3-4 mph faster. The benefit is that you don't have to shift as much. The only downside is that it's more possible, at least theoretically, to find yourself in a situtation where one gear is lower than you want, but the next gear is higher. The torque curve of the 450 is so wide that that just about never happens, though.

Ok so what you guys are saying is that by makeing the gear ratios wider Yamaha was able to have the range of the 5speeed tansmission but with only haveing 4 gears?This seems like it would be a benefit it anything over the 5 speed in my eyes.Does anyone else feel this way?

BTW I got to ride a 05 yz450f today but since I have a bum ankle I could really open it up.I really liked it.Felt just like my 250f just heavier and alot more power which is what I was expecting.

The 4 speed works great for me sometimes in the dunes I wish I had a 5th gear but overall the 450 will eat almost any gear you throw at her.

Brother, what it comes down too is the tight stuff, sure you can pull great top end speeds with the stock 4 speed, but i learned very quickly that my '04 450 wasnt going to work well without a sprocket change, in the trees and steep rocks, that you find on hare scrambles and such, I use a 51 rear sprocket.

I put the 5 speed from an '04 WR into my '04 yz...great low speed, awesome top speed. If you only moto..stock 4 speed is absolutely perfect...

The 4 speed works great for me sometimes in the dunes I wish I had a 5th gear but overall the 450 will eat almost any gear you throw at her.
Brother, what it comes down too is the tight stuff, sure you can pull great top end speeds with the stock 4 speed, but i learned very quickly that my '04 450 wasnt going to work well without a sprocket change, in the trees and steep rocks, that you find on hare scrambles and such, I use a 51 rear sprocket.
Both these complaints could be made of almost any 5 speed MX bike. They're all close ratio boxes with tall first gears. When I had one with a 5 speed, I used to miss having 6th. :)

That being said, I'm glad they put a 5 speed back in the new one. Now people can stop whining about it.

I personally like the 4 speed, i ride tight trails mostly, and ride a few motocross tracks with mates and i find it fine, at the same time, when you're on a long straight on a trail (not that often) i find myself trying to change up a gear, and seeing as i went from a YZ125 with a 6 speed to the 450 only recently, i'm still getting used to it, but i don't see it as a huge problem..