Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hamish

Fmf Pc4 ??????

14 posts in this topic

Currently running a YZ426 pipe, but it's too loud. The stock WR pipe (Oz versions are fully welded) is waaaaaay to heavy and sounds like hyundai.

Thinking of a PC4. Anyone that owns one have a sound clip/video file?

I'd get the quiet core insert with it. Without the insert fitted, is it much quieter than the YZ pipe? Please let me know what you guys think.

thanks guys

Gidday Hamish,

I have got an Aussie 04 WR450 with a Powercore4 and Powerbomb SX header. All I can say that it is unbelievably loud, to the extent of being annoying. I'd say probably even louder than a YZ muffler :) My riding buddies actually complain about the noise and make me ride last. I bought the Powerbomb header, as I had read that it should reduce the noise level a bit. Well I didn't notice any difference at all. The Powercore4 muffler that I have doesn't accept a quiet insert as the endcap is pop rivetted on.

I have also modified the standard muffler by changing the tailpipe to a piece of 1.5" s/s tube, yet still utilising the internal baffles to keep the noise down. Have a look at this link to see what I did. I use this muffler if riding on the road or close to suburbia. It only takes 5 mins to swap the mufflers over when required. :)

Modified Aussie WR450 Muffler

regards,

Nigel

Sydney

AUS WR450, nice setup! I have a Canadian 03WR450 with the same muffler. Wish I saw this a couple of months ago!! I ended up getting a YZ muffler instead.

I got a Pro Moto Biller end cap w/ spark arrestor and silent insert for my YZ muffler.. Haven't tried it yet, but the silent insert is supposed to drop it to 96dB. I'm sure if you search this forum, you'll find a lot of info on the PMB insert. Also, I'm certain there is a silent insert for the PC4. I remember reading a thread about it. I believe Indy_WR450 gave the dimensions to a guy in Turkey so he could fabricate his own since it takes too long to order one in Turkey. Check it out. Look for threads in which people ask about which exhaust it best. The PC4 comes up a lot in those.

you can changeover to the modular endcap. They make a kit.

Thanks for the info, but i'd still like to shed the weight of the WR muffler.

Hamish,

I currently ride my 426 with a PC4 no insert. The power is great! But I can tell you it's much barky and louder than the stock YZ pipe Sylvain has on his 426. I need to purchase an insert and see how it sounds but if it does not improve substantially, I'll probably switch to a stock YZ pipe.

Later,

Math

Does anyone know if there is any other spark arrestor for a stock YZ pipe other than the PMB? It's like $120 and that is way too much money for a spark arrestor, plus it's another $35 for the quiet insert. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Currently running a YZ426 pipe, but it's too loud. The stock WR pipe (Oz versions are fully welded) is waaaaaay to heavy and sounds like hyundai.

Thinking of a PC4. Anyone that owns one have a sound clip/video file?

I'd get the quiet core insert with it. Without the insert fitted, is it much quieter than the YZ pipe? Please let me know what you guys think.

thanks guys

I have the FMF PC4 and its only bearable with the quiet core insert! Othwerwise, get the "Q". I love the sound of mine, nice dep throaty sound, not abnoxious at all.

I would recommend the Q also. I run one on my 03 WR450 and it nice and quiet until you crack the throttle and it sounds strong, not too loud. Makes great power also

RNS

Those of you that have run the PC4, and then added the Q, how much power is lost? I just ordered the Q insert for mine because it is obnoxious.....but I love the power!!!

On the older Power Cores you have to drill out the pop rivets to bolt on the new quiet end cap. It's easy to do. My buddy has a DRZ with the PC4. I helped him with the minor surgery putting the quiet cap on. It sounds great with the quiet end cap. Definitely worth getting. My ears don't bleed anymore.

I just had a look at the FMF website for the end cap replacement kit. I am now a bit confused. Which is the part number/s that I need to use to replace the pop rivetted end cap and allow me to insert a quiet core? Is the quiet core insert, a separate part to the replacement endcap? :)

I have the 2" version of the muffler.

Thanks in advance