HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHEEZE13

POLL on Oil Cast your VOTE!

43 posts in this topic

Reply to this thread with your vote on the best oil for your 426/450. I will then load all of it into an excel spreadsheet and repost for everyone, so that our data will truly representative of YamahaThump Junkies tell everyone to reply to this thread! Thanx

Another Ga rider - Welcome

unfortunately another oil question poll.......... :) Just kidding....

my vote is for Red Cap Mobil 1 synthetic - or the new goldcap if it is the same - ytbd....yet to be determined.. :)

Mobil 1 Red Cap Synthetic 15W-50. I still have some left but have sent an e-mail to Mobil asking them if the additive packages in the new gold cap are comparable to the old red cap.

I personally run Vavoline 4 thumper 20w-50 and change it like my wife changes shoes (insistently)

When voting for your oil, give a few specific reasons why you prefer it, cost, formulation, experiences, etc. :) Thanx

JUst a reminder

>>>Reply to this thread with your vote on the best oil for your 426/450. I will then load all of it into an excel spreadsheet and repost for everyone, so that our data will truly representative of YamahaThump Junkies tell everyone to reply to this thread! Thanx<<<

Yamalube 20w-40 most of the time and 10w-30 for cold weather. It's cheap, readily available, what Yamaha recommends, and I've had good luck with it.

I found tons of red top today at the NAPA in town here why 15-50?
The current (new) Red Cap is a non-synthetic, budget dino oil, labeled Mobil Clean 5000. It is NOT Mobil 1 15w-50.

I use Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40.

Why? I like Mobil 1 base oils, MX4T is a JASO MA and API SG oil with a healthy amount of ZDDP, 40wt is heavy enough for where and when I ride, and I like its shear stability.

The current (new) Red Cap is a non-synthetic, budget dino oil, labeled Mobil Clean 5000. It is NOT Mobil 1 15w-50.

I use Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40.

Why? I like Mobil 1 base oils, MX4T is a JASO MA and API SG oil with a healthy amount of ZDDP, 40wt is heavy enough for where and when I ride, and I like its shear stability.

You are about the only guy on here that could sell me on a 7$ a quart oil. I'm gonna stick with Bel Ray Thumper till I run out.

I found tons of red top today at the NAPA in town here why 15-50?

make sure it is Synthetic - BJ's Wholesale had a ton of the old red cap 15/50 Synthetic - 2 weeks ago in Cumming

Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. :)

1. $12 per gallon

2. No Molly

3. Phosphorous < 1300ppm

4. Zinc < 1400ppm

5. Full Synthetic

6. Very little clutch wear

motul 3000 series 10/40w

I use this stuff too, its affordable for those who like to change their oil frequently, and I get long clutch life with it. :)