04-yz450

My yz is idleing very high when first started to about 1 hour of run time.I must turn idle screw down,after approx 1 hour then she wants to stall needing re adjustment.Atleast one full turn on idle screw,Whats up???? ?

that mean its runnin lean when it like idles high but then you let out the clutch a lil and it slows down to a normal idle??

Yep, well, usually anyhow.

When mine idles up I always give it a 1/4-1/2 turn out on the fuel screw.

If the fuel screw doesn't fix it for you, you may need to go to the next size up pilot jet.

Btw, this is referred to as "hanging idle." It will return about 4000 posts in the search function. ?

A cold engine ("first started") high idling bike , assuming the choke/enrichener is off is running RICH on the pilot circuit or getting extra gas from somewhere . If I'm reading this right you're turning the idle UP after one hour riding so it won't stall ?

Other stuff : Airfilter and carb clean yes/no ? Anyone been messing with the float height ?

Set your brain aside for the moment and check the basics .

Not knowing Douglas' current setup and what the conditions were when it worked ok, it may be difficult to tell. But I bet on lean condition. Try the fuelscrew both ways and let us know.

Bet = beer? ?

Yeah , we could definitely use some more detail . One rule of thumb on carb mixture problems is this . Lean running probs are most pronounced when the engine is cold and rich running probs are most pronounced when hot . I'd also like to know if he's adjusting the pilot screw or the idle speed knob ?

What kind of beer do people in "Other " drink ?!!

Yeah , we could definitely use some more detail . One rule of thumb on carb mixture problems is this . Lean running probs are most pronounced when the engine is cold and rich running probs are most pronounced when hot . I'd also like to know if he's adjusting the pilot screw or the idle speed knob ?

What kind of beer do people in "Other " drink ?!!

Well if you buy, anything that is cold and wet, thank you. If I'm to buy you have to settle for a cold finnish lager, ?

Even without a lot of detail, I would suggest the same things. First check the idle mixture adjustment. If it can't be brought into a correct state between 1 & 2 turns out, check for something that would cause and air leak (loose fitting mount sleeve, damaged hot start cable) and then check for a tight intake valve.

Well if you buy, anything that is cold and wet, thank you. If I'm to buy you have to settle for a cold finnish lager, ?

OK , Coors Lite it is ! Sorry about the lite beer but I am from SoCal ! We need to get this dudes bike working first though .

Douglasw , you have your orders . Check/clean carb,hot start system, check for air leaks and pilot screw adjustment . And again , methodical beats cerebral in the troubleshooting arena , especially when YOU are doing the work and are surrounded by a bunch of "know it alls" like us !

BTW-Roger is my name too, what a coincidence you used that expression ?

You'd better hurry for that Coors Lite , the two broken ribs that I'm nursing - courtesy of the Lake Elsinore MX Park ( or my oversized nuts!) have just about consumed my entire beer stash ! ........OK that's off topic .........

Bruce