Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
426Hurricane

Stock 14/49 for the woods

8 posts in this topic

Anyone running stock gearing in the woods? I have an 00 426 and im running 13/49 and i have no complaints in the tight stuff, but on the track and open trails i need a little more pull. The 13/49 was on there when i bought it so i have no idea what the 14/49 would be like. I am ordering a new renthal set this week so just looking for some feedback on this. I was thinking of going with a 14/50 just to pick up a little more since i know +1 in the front= -3 in the back and vice versa, so i thought a 14/50 would be a good compromise. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I also have a 00-426. The Stock gearing - 14/49 was just too high for the woods. (Great for the MX track though) I race Harescramble and a little MX and went with a 14/52. Perfect for the woods (Tight woods) but a little too low for MX and open trails. If I had to do it all over again, I think a 14/51 would be ideal for both.

You could always stay with the 14/49 and order and extra 13 tooth front sprocket and just switch out as you go between woods and the MX track/fast stuff. Only takes about 10 minutes to switch out.

Again, I think the ideal would be a 14/51 if you didn't want to change out the front sprocket.

Hope this helped.

- RCD :)

Thanks. Like I said, right now i am running 13/49, so when I buy the new set, (14/??) I will have a 13 available for switching out. I guess I could just get a 14 front and switch out between the 13/49 and the 14/49 for a while and see how it is. I will be needing a new set soon so I'll probably just pick up The Renthal set 14/50 w/R1 Gold chain.

I went from 14/49 to 14/48 for all of my riding.... Dunes/Track/Trail and I love it.... Woods will need a little more clutch work but love that top end, and my '01 already has loads of bottom end so I figured it wouldn't hurt....

I was running a 14/53 on mine until I got the Rekluse clutch. Watch the chain guide on the rear of the arm if you go much bigger than a 52, it will have clearance problems.

Thanks. Like I said, right now i am running 13/49, so when I buy the new set, (14/??) I will have a 13 available for switching out. I guess I could just get a 14 front and switch out between the 13/49 and the 14/49 for a while and see how it is. I will be needing a new set soon so I'll probably just pick up The Renthal set 14/50 w/R1 Gold chain.

I have been switching between the 12/49, 13/49 and 14/49. I love the 14 when we are doing alot of open trails. I love the 12/49 for rocks, but ended up stripping the teeth off of the front gear with so much torque. The 14/49 works well with loose hills and some clutch. I have found the best all around, (if I can take Johnny gett'n the top end on me with his Honda ) 13/49.

I just got home from the track and what a difference 1 tooth up front makes! I was running 13/49 and loved it in the woods but needed a little more on the track. I stuck a 14 up front and adjusted my suspension a little and I love it! I cant believe I rode on the track for the last month-and-a-half with a 13/49, the 14/49 is the ticket on the track for me. If i know i'll be in the woods that day, I'll throw the 13 back on.