Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHEEZE13

The real fix on 00 426 clutch

16 posts in this topic

Is the 01 clutch upgrade the "way" to go or should you just drop 2 bills on a Barnett Kevlar, I can't stand the way my bike engages in first, it's just grabby and weird feeling... I don't know just don't feel right. I got a Hinson basket... anyways someone clear the air on the most correct fix to this problem I have read a lot and still don't feel I have a definitive answer. Thanx!

The '01 is really the way to go.

I had a Hinson in my '00, this made it bearable, but my stock '01 was still a HUGE improvement.

Do a search on the PNs needed (if you haven't already) and do the swap. Next to using a '01 carb needle this is undoubtedly the best bang-for-buck mod you can do to your bike.

Hope this helps.

The '01 clutch does work.

The Hinson will do a lot more than make it bearable, though, but it depends on how much of it you use. Apart from the plate kit, the pressure plate and springs are the most important pieces of the puzzle. You should also look into drilling some oiling holes in the clutch boss to make it like the Hinson unit.

Yeah I pulled the p/n of TT last night, my understanding is that it is replacement is just the friction material and steel rings and springs, is there more, it did mention pushrod from an 01. So is the final analysis keep the Hinson Basket and just add 01 fiber and steel rings w/ 01 springs?

By all means keep any Hinson parts you already have.

I believe the Clutch Boss spring mentioned in the parts call up for the mod is one that stacks in the back of the clutch pack.

Use this link to get to the Yamaha Parts Catalog to see a blow up of the '01 clutch.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Then go to:

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

...to the Tech Articles to find an '01 YZ426 Manual you can download for the assembly details.

Ok I just had a thought, does the Hinson Basket improve lub. or just deal with the structural integrity of the tangs? Secondly someone mentioned drilling oil ports in the clutch boss please explain or send a schematic or drawing thanx!

Grayracer while you are answering Cheezes questions about his 426, please throw some info my way about my '03 450 (same type of problem I think). I would like to know more about the holes you mentioned on the clutch boss. I did double the amount of holes but that's still only 12 holes. How many can I (or should I) add to the clutch boss? Is there any danger if I drill to many? Will it weaken the boss? Could it harm the lubrication to other parts of the motor? Thanks

Ok I just had a thought, does the Hinson Basket improve lub. or just deal with the structural integrity of the tangs? Secondly someone mentioned drilling oil ports in the clutch boss please explain or send a schematic or drawing thanx!
Grayracer while you are answering Cheezes questions about his 426, please throw some info my way about my '03 450 (same type of problem I think). I would like to know more about the holes you mentioned on the clutch boss. I did double the amount of holes but that's still only 12 holes. How many can I (or should I) add to the clutch boss? Is there any danger if I drill to many? Will it weaken the boss? Could it harm the lubrication to other parts of the motor?
The basket improves the clutch by being more precisely made, and stronger, so it stays more precise. The purpose of the holes in the clutch boss is to lube and cool the plates, and to provide more uniform oiling to them. They would be located in the low point of the splines, looking from the outside of the boss, and without one in front of me, I would say about 3/32" (.940" or 2.4mm) in diameter. 12 should be enough. Space them evenly, one per spline, one toward the rear, then half way out, then nearer the open end, each hole in a separate spline. Then start a new set of three at the back again, for twelve total, one to a spline, evenly spaced. My concern with too many would be in weakening the boss. Anyone with more accurate info, please step up. One place you might write to is Dubach Racing. ( http://www.dubachracing.com/ )

The '03 450 had the exact same problem as the '00 426. After they fixed the 426, they went back to the same thing that didn't work before and got the same results. :) The '01 parts will fix this, too, as I understand it, but better yet is the GYT-R clutch kit (all Hinson parts). Get the pressure plate, too.

I bought mine used with a complete Hinson clutch already installed (a major selling point), and I will say only that it's the most perfect clutch I've had in any motorcycle I ever owned or rode. It may even be worth the price.

Where is a good place to get the full GYT-R clutch system (local shop or internet) I guess which one is cheaper, and I am assume it is a 01 model GYT-R?

Buy the GYT-R parts for your specific year model. My experience with the Internet has been that by the time you add shipping, dealing with people in some remote location saves me nothing compared to a good shop that I have an established relationship with, and is willing to give me a break on the price, to say nothing of the ability to go directly back to them in the event of a problem.

It is called a judder spring and seat.

I always wondered what the hey that thingy was called..... :)

Do a search for my post on the 00 clutch fix. Unless your basket is notched, just buy the parts I have listed. If your basket is in good shape, there's no need for the Hinson.