OK we know the 06 YZ will have an aluminum frane but..

what about the WR ? The mags show pictures of the YZ but not the WR. They also say the YZ gets a new motor. Do you think any of this will carry over to the WR or will it stay the same since it was just redone for 05? Just curious.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the new dirtrider. Definetly new engine. If you look close you can see two oil filler caps on the case. In the new transworld yo can see a good view of the new head and cylinder design. I don't know the internal changes but there is total redo of the engine.

Erik

The question then becomes will it be as reliable as the older motor. I bought a WR for the reliabilty. If that reliablity goes away I will not be running out to the dealer to buy a new one that is for sure. I know Yamaha will work out as many bugs as possible prior to release but I would hate to get into a CRF X/R issue with the Blue rigs.

My local Yam dealer is certain the '06 WR is getting the Ally frame too. I didn't know to ask about any engine changes, but I'll see what I can find out next time I'm in.....

I was reading Motocross Action last night. They said the YZF450F will have a new engine but the 250F will just be revised. Dirt Rider shows pictures of the new YZF but no mention of a new engine so who knows which one is correct, but no mention of the WR. I can see redoing the YZ450s motor as there seem to be some complaints about in relation to the competition but I dont know if they would change the engine in the WR. Guess its a waiting game!

what about the WR ? The mags show pictures of the YZ but not the WR. They also say the YZ gets a new motor. Do you think any of this will carry over to the WR or will it stay the same since it was just redone for 05? Just curious.

I would be surprised to see much change in the WR for '06. IF the YZ gets both the aluminum frame AND a new engine, why would Yamaha potentially dilute sales of the YZ by offering a new WR? Even though both bikes are aimed at different riders, the YZ far outsells the WR and gets the lion's share of the factory's advertising and racing budgets. If the aluminum frame does make it to the WR, it probably won't be until the '07 model year. I could be wrong, but if history is any indicator, a major technological leap crossing two completely different model lines in one model year is not something Yamaha does very often.

But then equally, the YZ and WR 450 frames are identical, aren't they? - So what would be the point in continuing to manufacture steel frames for the WR450, when it would require minimum effort to stick them in the same frame as the YZF's......?

?

But then equally, the YZ and WR 450 frames are identical, aren't they? - So what would be the point in continuing to manufacture steel frames for the WR450, when it would require minimum effort to stick them in the same frame as the YZF's......?

The frames are NOT identical. The differences are small, but significant.

So what would be the point in continuing to manufacture steel frames for the WR450

Spare parts.

Slowly build the new parts into the product line and phase out the old parts over the course of a year. Keep some for warranty issues.

When production stock is used up faster than anticipated, then all of a sudden you have "The new and improved 2006-1/2 WR450F with aluminum frame!"

Spare parts.

Slowly build the new parts into the product line and phase out the old parts over the course of a year. Keep some for warranty issues.

When production stock is used up faster than anticipated, then all of a sudden you have "The new and improved 2006-1/2 WR450F with aluminum frame!"

Exactly! ? This is what smart manufacturers do so they don't end up with overstock or write-offs.

Are they?

In what way? Geometry? Different brackets? ?

Radiator mounting points are different and, if I'm not mistaken, steering head angles are also different. I'm not sure about motor mounts on the 450, but the 250 YZ and WR are different.

Change in the motor is probably due to the aluminum frame. They may not have the oil reservoir in the frame any more. Might be they are doing the CRF thing and seperating the tranny oil from the crankcase and head?

Yamaha has brought the WR along with the YZ on all the major change years (426/450) so far so I can't wait to see what's in store for this year.

-Lowedog

I was reading an article on the Factory YZF-450.

Yamaha lowerd the radiators, and I believe angled the engine down to lower center of gravity which has BECOME the big reason the CRF is recognized magazinely as the better bike. The article claimed this factory bike rode as easily as the CRF.

I too, saw in MXA / Dirt Rider the different engine for the YZF450, it is a wet sump w/ a tiny oil reservoir at the bottom of the frame downtube, just above the skid plate. I hope there are not the oil consumption issues the CRF250 has...???

Think the 2006 WR will come stock WITHOUT the throttle stop, gray wire, blue wire?

06 models will include the following:

YZ - ali frame

WR - old steel frame

Both will have titanium rear shock springs, fat bar Renthals.

That's what Ive heard from the horses mouth