HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
homerdog

XR650 uncorking problems--need help

3 posts in this topic

Uncorked my almost new 2003 XR650R today. It was stock except it already had the spark arrester replaced with the new insert. I removed the two airbox parts, put in the new carb insulator, B53E needle with the clip in the #2 position from the top, #170 main jet, and #68s slow jet. Bike started fine but sputtered and missed. I pulled the carb again and put in a #175 main and moved the clip to the third position wich seems to be the setting most folks use. Bike still started easy but sputtered and missed as soon as I came on the throttle in all gears. I live at 1500 feet elevation. Don't know what to check now and don't want to put all the stock parts back on. Am going on a long trip in a coulpe of weeks and need to get this right. Thanks in advance,

Dave

I figured it out. I had the choke lever in the wrong position. It runs like a champ now. Glad it was only a dumb mistake on my part and I'm happy I don't have to take the carb out again. The uncorking mods made a huge improvement.