HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

OIL?

7 posts in this topic

Just need a hand determining what oil to use in my WR. I know it sounds stupid, but I have read that mobil 1 for cars is fine for the bike. This is my first change after breaking in the bike so I want to start it off right.

eric1,

Check out the topic Which Oil. There is a link to an article about Motorcycle oils vs automotive oils. It is very interesting and goes to prove that you don't have to pay big bucks for oil to get the protection and performance we need. Go with a full synthetic like Mobile 1 but make sure the one you choose does not have any friction modifiers in it.

------------------

'00 WR 400

UNCORKED, YZ TIMED

SNORKEL & LID REMOVED

STOP TRIMMED

I just change to Mobil 15W50 two oil changes ago. Had the bike in a 24hr ice race. On hour ten the oil breather tube froze and pluged up, ejecting the camcover seal. I stop, it was dark and I could not see anything wrong, Thought I finally blew the last of the packing out of the exhust drove hard for another hour, came in for gas, saw oil all over the side of the bike. Repalced the seal and refilled the oil. It took 1.4 liters to bring it back up. I was running extreamlly low!! I did not notice any difficulty shifting or hear any sounds. Started the bike back up and headed out again. I think I would have seriusly damaged the engine had I not been using synthetic. The stuff is so sticky. It is also great for cold starting because of the low pour point temp. I will not use anything else!

Fred,

The oil we are refering to is Mobile 1 15/50

synthetic. It does not have friction modifiers in it so it is safe to use in your bike. If you want to learn more do a search in this site using Mobile 1 as your search topic. There has been alot of discussion in past posts on the topic.

Russ

------------------

'00 WR 400

UNCORKED, YZ TIMED

SNORKEL & LID REMOVED

STOP TRIMMED