HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mj2412

Smell of burnt oil

3 posts in this topic

Hello, yesterday on the track an other guy told me that he realize when he is riding behind me because he smells burnt oil. Last fall my transmission broke down and i repaired it. With the work on the engine, i changed also the piston rings and swapped to the hotcam cam. Then i changed the top end seals and rebuilt everything. Until now i have about 5 hours of riding on my bike and changed the oil once. Before i disassemble the engine because of the smell of burnt oil, i would have some ideas what i have to look for. Maybe i´m too much afraid of some engine problems or the other guy has a bad nose. Thanks for every possible reason you know.

Martin

You might first ask yourself if your engine uses any oil at all. If it does, it's going somewhere. It either leaks or burns oil. If it doesn't use any, forget the whole thing.

You did not say whether yours is a 450 or a 426, but the 450 has a flimsy plastic plug in the bore where the compression release shaft used to go. Look directly above the exhaust port on the front of the cylinder head. There should not be a hole there. If there is, welcome to the club. Get a plug through the TT store, so the plug won't fall out again, and check your breather tube for being blocked or pinched.

If not, and there are no external leaks, and your engine does in fact use oil, then you may have weak rings or faulty valve guides seals.