2006 YZF on the cover of the July MXA

The new YZF is on the cover of the July MXA. Actually the prototype is. Inside they say the production bike will of course have a bare unpainted aluminum frame. Also the traditional graphics.

They said the 250F engine is basically unchanged but the 450F is an all new motor that has a more upright cylinder, shorter overall height and more centralized weight.

Both bikes will see, as a result of the new frame design, a lower center of gravity by lowering the subframe, gas tank and radiators.

The new YZF is on the cover of the July MXA. Actually the protype is. Inside they say the production bike will of course have a bare unpainted aluminum frame. Also the traditional graphics.

They said the 250F engine is basically unchanged but the 450F is an all new motor that has a more upright cylinder, shorter overall height and more centralized weight.

Both bikes will see, as a result of the new frame design, a lower center of gravity by lowering the subframe, gas tank and radiators.

Thanks for the info...I guess the mailman is still reading my issue of MXA ?

Did they say anything about taming the engine power curve anymore? One of the things I liked in '03-'04, Yamaha had the most potent engine of the four strokes. If they tame it anymore, I may have to look at a different bike that isn't a powder puff version of what it was.

Yeah, I'm curious what my next bike will be. I haven't heard a lot about the 05 CRF450 and if it still has the valve problems they were plagued with. If they continue improving their valve train the CRF might be an '06 or '07 choice. I would rather stay blue cause I like the ergo's, but I'm not into the softening power curve so some people can get better traction. I would rather have fun busting the tire loose on command.

I be the Yammer is fine. Even the last couple were good with a pipe. I would be surprised if anyone went to Honda for more horsepower. The blue engineers know what they are doing and they know how important the YZ 450 is- it's the flagship. They get lighter every year, get the best traction and hold up well. I'm keeping the faith - until they release it anyway. For the record, I can make any color bike have more horsepower, handling, traction and whatever else I want. It takes a little thought. I have trouble leaving a bike alone. Good luck and safe riding to all.

Yeah, I'm curious what my next bike will be. I haven't heard a lot about the 05 CRF450 and if it still has the valve problems they were plagued with. If they continue improving their valve train the CRF might be an '06 or '07 choice. I would rather stay blue cause I like the ergo's, but I'm not into the softening power curve so some people can get better traction. I would rather have fun busting the tire loose on command.

The power on the 450 is not soft...unless maybe you are riding a WR.

The power on the 450 is not soft...unless maybe you are riding a WR.

I'm riding a YZ450 and like the power, but I am still interested to know if anyone has tried an '03 CDI on an '05 to see if it works.

The mags and most of the riders on here used to claim that the YZ had the most potent engine and they don't anymore. It still has the title of most reliable, but from '03 to '05 everything I have read or heard says that they have tamed the engine so it doesen't rip loose as much when you grab the throttle, but it gives you a kinder gentler power that gives more traction. I'm just saying if that is the goal they are going for, GREAT for Yamaha. I prefer an engine that is explosive in power, and if it slips and slides in the traction area because I opened it up thats what I wanted it to do.

I'm riding a YZ450 and like the power, but I am still interested to know if anyone has tried an '03 CDI on an '05 to see if it works.

The mags and most of the riders on here used to claim that the YZ had the most potent engine and they don't anymore. It still has the title of most reliable, but from '03 to '05 everything I have read or heard says that they have tamed the engine so it doesen't rip loose as much when you grab the throttle, but it gives you a kinder gentler power that gives more traction. I'm just saying if that is the goal they are going for, GREAT for Yamaha. I prefer an engine that is explosive in power, and if it slips and slides in the traction area because I opened it up thats what I wanted it to do.

What year is your YZ450? I've seen plenty of '04 CDIs on sell on EBAY. I was going to pick one up for my '05, but with the Dubach exhaust and boyesen quickshot I have on mine it has plenty of power for me

I have an '04 and it does have pretty good power, but was also looking at picking up that boyesen quick shot next month. I was wondering about the '03 CDI on the '05 . From the talk about it seems like the '03 had the most bite and when I was considering the '05 that was the question. Now if they have completely changed the engine architecture for the '06 it probably wont matter. It would be nice if they let you adjust mapping like a power commander for a street bike.

I take 3 of the magazines. If MXA said the YZ was soft, I might believe them. One of them has the same manufacturer as winner month after month class after class-these guys I don't believe. Don't you hate when they pick a bike that is slower, has less hop up potential and less traction and says something like "the bike is more fun" without defining what makes it "fun". Define fun, I pay you to write about bikes, not the brand you grew up riding. I'm like you guys, I love the YZ hit. I ride her in tight trail. I still can't put a flywheel weight on because I love that delicious hit. My point- don't believe one magazine over your buds on TT. Yamaha is not perfect mind you. All bikes trade one asset for another. Yamaha runs hard and lasts. Good luck to all and safe riding on any color bike.

actually that is one thing about thumpers I hate....sound like old work trucks with the muffler dragging the ground instead of a motocross bikes.

But I like everything else about them....well almost everything else.

actually that is one thing about thumpers I hate....sound like old work trucks with the muffler dragging the ground instead of a motocross bikes.

But I like everything else about them....well almost everything else.

Ouch!! I would like to say my bike definitely does not sound like an old truck with a dragging muffler. Now, I ride about as fast as an old codger in an old truck on an old gravel road with aaaaaaalllllll dog-gone day to get were I'm going. I don't sound bad doing it though. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Come to think of it, my old '76 Ford with a straight six sounds sweet to me. It doesn't sound like a mechanical scream either. I liked my 2 stroke KDX and was less afraid to rev her out, but I love my 4 stroke 'mo better. One mans opinion. Good luck to all.