GYT-R clutch install help!!!

I have an 04 450 and tried to put in the GYTR clutch kit tonight. Well its got some parts that I have never seen before in any clutch kit.

1 small clutch

1 small black ring

1 small friction plate

the rest are normal friction plates and clutch plates.

The way I am understanding the directions is that first you install that small plate and then the black plate which I think is a spring and then a friction plate ? That seems weird to me because any other clutch install the first thing in is a friction plate :D Then the next friction plate that goes in is the smaller one according to the directions. After that the rest of the install is the same.

Anyways I did it that way and noticed that I have a ton of slack in my clutch cable after I got done. I have never had that much any other time I have done a swap. Basically the lever would hardly engage the clutch ?

Anyways what did I do wrong or is that the correct way. I need to know the order and if I have it right, it looks backwards to me :D .......

You stacked a totally different clutch into your bike. It stands to reason that the completed depth of the clutch would be different, and that it would change the cable adjustment. Be sure you have followed the assembly instructions correctly (that means check it again) and also be certain that all of the parts of the clutch push rod(s) are in place. Then adjust the cable and see how it works.

OK GR, thanx. What do you thnk is up with that 1 smaller friction plate. Don't you think its weird that the instructions tell you to put in that metal ring and spring first(another metal ring thats beveled). I have always put in a friction plate first ?

I´m riding a 01 426 and i have this strange parts installed in my OEM clutch. When i assembled the clutch the first time i was also confused about it, but it works without any problems and i think this spring in the form of a ring is for a smooth feeling and a nice pressure point of the clutch. in the handbook is an important mark that the ring has to be installed in an special way. Look at your instructions, follow it or go to motorman's site and look into the handbook of the 01. you will find these parts there.

Thanx MJ, I was a little confused because I never saw anything like those 3 parts before. 1 small ring, 1 small black beveled ring (spring) and that 1 smaller friction plate ? all the rest is the same.

Thanx MJ, I was a little confused because I never saw anything like those 3 parts before. 1 small ring, 1 small black beveled ring (spring) and that 1 smaller friction plate ? all the rest is the same.

I did the 01 clutch plate mod - I am confused when you say the "small" ring etc...There is a normal sized beveled metal ring that goes in first....then the plates....

So what are these small parts? And where do they go? GYTR clutch kit is a Hinson clutch plate kit correct? I would just go Hinson all the way if this is the case = pressure plate, inner hub and basket -

GreyRacer did it and he swears by it..... :D

I did the 01 clutch plate mod - I am confused when you say the "small" ring etc...There is a normal sized beveled metal ring that goes in first....then the plates....

So what are these small parts? And where do they go? GYTR clutch kit is a Hinson clutch plate kit correct? I would just go Hinson all the way if this is the case = pressure plate, inner hub and basket -

GreyRacer did it and he swears by it..... ?

Yeah I don't have that kind $$$$ to do a complete Hinson kit. There are 3 odd parts. 1 metal ring that fits around the hub. It has the same inside diameter as a pressure plate. 1 black beveled ring same size as other ring. 1 smaller friction plate, about 1/2 the size of a normal one. Everything else is the same as any other clutch kit :D

I put it all together last night and tried it. :D Well the clutch would not disengage no matter how much I adjusted the cable. ? I'm gonna take it apart and change the order of the plates and see what happens :worthy:

It might be a good clutch but the directions suck!!!!!

Yeah I don't have that kind $$$$ to do a complete Hinson kit. There are 3 odd parts. 1 metal ring that fits around the hub. It has the same inside diameter as a pressure plate. 1 black beveled ring same size as other ring. 1 smaller friction plate, about 1/2 the size of a normal one. Everything else is the same as any other clutch kit ?

I put it all together last night and tried it. ? Well the clutch would not disengage no matter how much I adjusted the cable. :D I'm gonna take it apart and change the order of the plates and see what happens :D

It might be a good clutch but the directions suck!!!!!

Call Hinson they can give the correct order to install them

It sounds like the parts (Clutch) of the 01 YZ426 clutch. Go to motoman´s homepage, download the necessary chapter of the manual (YZ426 01) and doublecheck with the installation guide of the clutch parts there. This should be a good advice for the installation of the clutch. In the manual is an important note about a sharp edge on one of the plates, which define in and outerside. This is important for the 01 clutch because without the clutch will not work fine and this ring grind on the next steel late. Maybe this instructions help you more or give an idea about the possible installation.

dune,

I just completed a Hinson basket, inner hub, pressure plate and EBC plates on my '02 426. Same plate arrangement in mine. The most time consumming task was drilling out the rivets on the stock primary gear. The assembly went in smooth and after a cable adjustment it works super. Very smooth action and moderate to easy cable pull tension. I am glad I did the swap.

Bill

The first ring is a spring seat, the second a judder spring and I am not sure about the smaller friction plate (diameter not thickness). The judder spring was the cause of the grabbiness on the earlier models I believe. Can you see the pressure plate move when you pull the clutch. Does your clutch use a ball in the actuator? Did you remove the basket? If you did, are the right spacers/shim still behind it?

OK, I got it to work. Here is the order. Do Not follow the instructions that come with it at least fo an 04 ?

1. small metal ring

2. small black beveled ring

3. Smaller friction plate(diameter) It fits around the 2 first rings

everything else is just like any other clutch after that ?

Not sure about other models than the 04 450, but that is how it needs to be put in on an 04. Oh yeah don't use the actuator arm that comes with it, thats for o3's only :D