HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hamish

Good numbers on the bench

20 posts in this topic

Got my head back today along with some pretty impressive figures for anyone that cares/understands.

Balance is now up to 81%, Flow increaced everywhere.

Stock was 123 cfm at 350 thou on the inlet, now up to 133 cfm

Exhaust was 88cfm at 350 thou, now up to 108 cfm.

And as you can see from the below pics, the post velocity will be much higher. I told him that I didnt care much for topend, just wanted massive torque down low. But looking at the figures, the topend will be better aswell. He also did a pretty sweet job on the chamber. Got it reassembled this arvo, just need to get some new shims and then she'll be going again :)

Throwing in a YZ450 exhaust cam at the same time, so the results should be intresting. Probably hit the dyno next weekend. I'll keep you posted.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4nqr/Pics/chamber.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4nqr/Pics/chamber2.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4nqr/Pics/inlet.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4nqr/Pics/exhaust.JPG

A guy in Brisbane . I think he calls himself MC Heads :) , I just know him as Geoff . Does a lot of the race bike heads for the dealers around this area. He did my ZXR750 many years ago.

Nice pic's, looks like quality work. :) I had my Softail's heads done by Andrew Hallam (Hallam Racing/HallamBoyz), similar quality work. It seems good machinists are a dying art. Actually, good quality anything is hard to come by these days.....

i.e.: Panel beaters don't actually beat too many panels anymore, they mainly unbolt the old panel, and bolt on the new. It seems that once all the 'old school' guys retire, a lot of the knowledge will go into retirement with them..... :D:) Don't mind me, i'm 3/4 cut.....

Hey Chris, my Harley looks better then your's. :D:)

A Harley is a Harley isn't it? Just a antiquated 1920's style pushrod twin that is lucky to make the power of a jap engine 1/2 it's size?

Hmm..that should get a few bites.................

Ham, great thread... The machine work looks top notch.. Please keep us posted on the results. Nice.... :)

harnish:

In the faq section about the 450 cams into the 400/426 talks about accelerated cam wear. Has this been proven or disproved? I figured with all of the work you have done on your bike you would know

thanks

jb

A Harley is a Harley isn't it? Just a antiquated 1920's style pushrod twin that is lucky to make the power of a jap engine 1/2 it's size?

Hmm..that should get a few bites.................

I'll have you know that my basic engine design is 1930's technology, thank you very much :D:):D Also, i've yet to come up against a Jap' street bike that I can't beat.....for the first 60 feet, then they come past me on the back wheel. :)

Not that I know a lot about porting but this all looks nice.

I'm very anxious to see your dyno results.

Keep me informed

Thanks

harnish:

In the faq section about the 450 cams into the 400/426 talks about accelerated cam wear. Has this been proven or disproved? I figured with all of the work you have done on your bike you would know

thanks

jb

no idea, just installing the cam now.

I cant see it effecting the camshaft wear. If anything is suspect, it's the chain. But other members have done many miles with no problems so it shouldnt be an issue.

I'll have you know that my basic engine design is 1930's technology, thank you very much :D:):D Also, i've yet to come up against a Jap' street bike that I can't beat.....for the first 60 feet, then they come past me on the back wheel. :)

had it on the 1/4?

Hamish-

In the pic of your intake port, the floor appears to be a different color than the cieling and walls...Did your porting dude add material to raise the floor/reduce the cross sectional area/increase flow velocity? Used to do it on the big d-port chevy heads and cleveland ford heads.

Bridie:

yeah, it's some special epoxy he uses. Even with that much fill in there, the flow is still better than stock at all valve lifts. Did you know that the head on our bike outflows SBC heads?? hehehe

I just finished running in the new exhaust camshaft. It sure is sharp on the throttle. Thump thump thump braaaaap. thump thump thump. Mind you, the AP needs some more tuning :) If I get it back together tomorrow night I'll see how she goes on the street.

Brettv : It'll cost you $450 plus freight to/from Brisbane.

had it on the 1/4?

No, not this bike, but mate's bikes with almost identical mod's (probably less head work), run 12.0-12.5's in the 1/4. Not really fast in the whole grand scheme of things, but lots of fun. I'll run it at a street meet soon hopefully. :)

...Probably hit the dyno next weekend... I'll keep you posted.

Yes, let us know what the horsepower readings are, I'm real curious! :)

Took it for a braaaaaaaap on the street tonight. With only 1 of my Acerbis Diamond deadlights working visablity wasnt too flash.

Took a guess on the tunrup and went 2 clips leaner on the needle.

Seems to be ok, nothing earth shattering, but strong. But I assume there is a bit more left in the tuneup. I will be doing the cam timing in a few weeks, hopefully with a before/after dyno run. I know of a tuner that has made the tools to allow the sprocket to be pressed off the decomp cam and pressed back on at the correct place. There is definately more bottom end avaliable in having the correct cam timing, but thats abother story.