Anybody do the Barnums air box mod

I just did this weekend, and yeah it looks very cool! $65 for the bling factor...

How'd the bike feel afterward? Did you find you had to swap to a bigger jet?

I have an edelbrock, easy to take care of. I'm leaving for WCTTR in a minute and will need to adjust for the altitude when I arrive.

Sorry this is off topic,

Would any of you know why when you search xr650r on ebay that auction doesn't come up. I search ebay every once in a while and that auction never came up?

To keep it on topic I planned on drilling out mine and if I mess up I'll pick up that kit to clean it up :)

You have to search the stores. It's not an auction item.

Thanks

Nice bling and functional too :)

I dont believe in airbox mods. open uup the snorkle and thats it. of course it gets pretty dusty out here, and i like water and mud. kinda the same thing as taking out your backfire screen. is it wrth it for 1/2 a hp????

I dont believe in airbox mods. open uup the snorkle and thats it. of course it gets pretty dusty out here, and i like water and mud. kinda the same thing as taking out your backfire screen. is it wrth it for 1/2 a hp????

Yes, it is. Horsepower is why I ride........... :)

of course it gets pretty dusty out here, and i like water and mud.

same here.

and thats why I am considering picking up the Barnum's Airbox mod already put into a side pannel. When I'm in the dry desert just flying, have the modded side pannel on. Then when I want to go play in the mud and water, swap em out. I already clean my airfilters religously, so I don't think the extra bit of dust will make that much of a difference.

Anytime you can flow more air through you engine and have to jet up for it you are making more horsepower. Just like uncorking, going from a 135 main to a 175 main is eight horsepower. The air box mod works best with other mod's that help flow more air through the engine, like a header/muffler setup that is more free flowing, a better carburetor ect, ect...

You may get one horsepower from a header/ muffler setup, but, with a uni air filter maybe another half a horsepower but, add holes in the side cover now you have three horsepower total. You just turned that half a horsepower gain from adding the holes in the air box to one and a half with everything. All the engine mod work that way to a point. You see guy's with stock bikes putting out 47~48hp instead of the uncorked bikes putting out 44hp. Well now you know where they are getting the extra 3~4hp. Is 6~8% horsepower increase worth it??? $500 for an exhaust system, $30 for a Uni air filter, $400 for a pumper carburetor and then some free holes??? NO and neither was the $3000 dollars I spent for the other extra ten horsepower I got when I went 680cc :D but, it sure is fun :)