expencive noise

I while back I posted about engine noise on my 03 450. Since the noise has gotten much louder very quickly so I took it in for repairs. The mechanic said he would have to tear it down to find the noise issue and I said okay. When he called me back he said "I have bad news for you". He told me a list of parts that need to be replaced, it included: both cams and gears, cam chain and tensioner, pistin rod, wrist pin, crankshaft and all the other things I cant remember. Almost $1500 parts and labor. ? He displayed the worn parts to me and explaned why each was bad, although he may as well have been explaining it to me in greek. He said the repairs must be done. However I did catch him say that he only had to replace the camshafts because you cannot order the cam gears seperatly.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks

Without seeing the parts it's impossible to make the call as to what needs to be replaced. The cam sprockets usually last a very long time unless you don't change the oil often. Actually the sprocket on the crank is likely to go bad long before the sprockets on the cams. But if the motor was not properly cared for then it's possible for those things to be bad. If you were continuing to run it while it was making a bad sound then that gives me the idea that the maintenance may not have been maticulious. He showed you the parts and tried to explain so either he's a brazen con man, or he's trying to be honest. On the up side, he took it apart before it came apart on its own, and that right there saved you a lot of money. ?

I while back I posted about engine noise on my 03 450. Since the noise has gotten much louder very quickly so I took it in for repairs. The mechanic said he would have to tear it down to find the noise issue and I said okay. When he called me back he said "I have bad news for you". He told me a list of parts that need to be replaced, it included: both cams and gears, cam chain and tensioner, pistin rod, wrist pin, crankshaft and all the other things I cant remember. Almost $1500 parts and labor. ? He displayed the worn parts to me and explaned why each was bad, although he may as well have been explaining it to me in greek. He said the repairs must be done. However I did catch him say that he only had to replace the camshafts because you cannot order the cam gears seperatly.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks

So my question to your tech would be ; which of these parts is causing all this noise ? It sounds a little like he really doesn't know so he's hedging by replacing all of the most likely potential noise makers . Worn cam sprockets ? I'm not buying it but since I haven't seen the parts and dont know the tech in question I may be wrong also . I dont like chucking these guys under the bus sight unseen (I was one of them once)but then again ........

If your bike is making "excessive" noise, your parts he pulled out will reflect that. Any sign of severe wear on the camshafts or scuffed piston/cylinder, was the cam chain tensioner working properly? A loose chain could give you lots of noise, What did the oil look like? Were there signs of metal filings or smell of overheating?

The parts he showed you (assuming they we really yours) should have some noticiable signs of wear, and or out of stock tolerances that he should clearly show you.

It's recommended to change the camchain at least once a year with regular use. It's a 20 dollar item and well worth that expense.

If you changed oil and filter regularly, these engines are pretty tough to break.

Let us know what it sounds like when back together.

Thanks for the replies.

sirthumpalot, I have know idea about how the bike has been maintained, I bought it used 6 months ago on consignment at a different place away from home. When I first got it it was a little noisey but then it quieted down after an oil change untill it got loud very quickly.

r2millers, He did mention that the cam chain tensioner caused sproket wear.

One thing I dont understand, is why the crank and rod need to be replaced. I guess I'll have to trust him. I wouldnt feel this uncomfortable if I didnt notice the huge grin on his face when I wrote out the check.

I believe the lower cam chain sprocket (the crank sprocket) is part of the crank. If this is correct, then to replace that sprocket you must replace the crank half. If you're going to do that then you might as well replace the entire crank and it probably comes with the rod already attached. Not sure if that's why he's replacing it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speculate, but it is possible that the cam chain tensioner went bad, the chain jumped some teeth on the gears causing the valves to hit the piston.

At that point you are looking at replacing everything you mentioned plus valves. The parts probably cost somewhere around $1200.