I thought Yamaha had.......

I thought Yamaha had the clutch grab problem fixed with the 02 426. The bike I just bought is doing the same thing my 99 400 did. It is a light switch with no slip.

I pulled the cover off and the basket is fine with no grooves and the basket nut is tight. Any idea what else it might be? Was part of the problem the actuator?

If the plates were warped you would probably not be able to tell. If they are warped then this could be causing the problem. I know you don't want to here this but the best cure for grabby clutches is an aftermarket basket like a Hinson. Assuming that all the clutch parts are good, the grabby sensation is caused by lack of oil between the plates. A Hinson or equivalent basket has more oil passages and will force oil between the plates. The end result.... a awesome feeling clutch.

Another trick is to drill a couple 3/16 holes at a angle in each tab of the hub. However you didn't here it from me as I don't know what the long term effect is to the basket. I did this and it helped considerably and lasted for over 2 years with no problems. But I am not abusive on clutches so take it with a grain of salt....

And yes I have a Hinson in my 426 now. ?

Thats what I thought...... I wonder if someone swapped the 02 parts for some of the older model parts???? Is there any way to identify them? I Thought I read some where that the actuator arm was different length. Any one know the lengths? Maby if I just smoke it up good it will help! ?

Never had the problem on my 02 YZ426. Clutch is pretty smooth and I tend to overuse/abuse mine

I just pulled it completely appart and pulled up the parts fish at Yamaha and what I have does not match what it should have. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lumpy790/scan0009.jpg

The basket looks more like the 03 with the fingers being square not with the U shape from the end.

There are no spring Washers on the inside or the inside plate being smaller. All the plates are the same.

I wonder if they exploded the motor and replaced it with a ??? The ser # on it is J308E-C13887 Is there anywhere on line to identify it with the ser # ? ?