HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bork

Different idle problem

7 posts in this topic

My bud got his 97 xr600r 650 kit installed with cam (dont know cam stage) from I believe thumper racing. Bike seems to stall easily . and if stopping to chat or what ever , the engine will stalls after about 10 -20 seconds. Idles really good and smooth too. Then coughs once and stops. Anyone else have same problem ? I loaned him my stock carb which worked fine when I took off my bike , because I have a QS now , but still stalls on his bike . BTW He changed pulse generator and no difference.

He is having a lean stumble. You need to get more fuel in at idle. I had a 96 that did the same thing. The only semi cure I found was raising the needle all the way up. I could not make it rich enough with any pilot jet changes and I tried a lot. It made the bike a real PITA as it would stall at street lights (dual sported) with no warning. I eventually sold it and got the 650R. No more problem. I am thinking that a power now or a torque vane might help with the problem too. It would speed the air up over the venturis pulling a little more fuel. Might just work...

Miker , That is what I say too . Bud did increase pilot jet .(problem stayed the same) But wouldn't bike idle wierd if to lean? . It idles good now untill it cough/stall. Also stock carb at 1/2 choke would change something . wouldn't it ?

Lean is mean so it will idle fine. move the needle clip down(moving needle up) to make idle richer. it may help him to get a dyno jet kit which has a tapered needle allowing a richer condition. i think that Honda might sell one too but i dont have a # for either.

Mike

But does needle even do anything at idle ?

I would say no but it made my bike stop coughing and dying.