HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrkaholic

426s are still fast!

23 posts in this topic

Well Guys, I finally raced a WR450F. This one was stock except for the pipe was open. I think it is an '04.

My WR426 is YZ timed, pipe, and rejetted to perfection. I also outweighed the guy by 40 lbs. Of course, I smoked that bike. We raced a few times. He was way back there. The stock setup is really bad. I forgot how bad.

I wonder if a similar setup 450 (ie. YZ timed and jetted, nice pipe) would beat my 426, and by how much. I guess it would, but, I wonder how much?

Has anyone with a YZ timed 450 beat a YZ timed 426?

Here is a pic of my bike (all clean!! and before some scratches) :)

dsc008147pl.jpg

Riding a bike that's tuned to where it feels crisp with razor sharp throttle response everywhere in the curve with gobs of power is a real joy, but all too often I've ridden other peoples bikes that feel good as opposed to outstanding and some of these people thought their good running bikes were tuned to perfection. It sounds like your bike is a singer :)

Well, I did all the free mods when I got it, yz timed and pipe, then spent about 3 months playing with jets. I changed jets on the trail all the time. I was an expert at it. I could do it in a few minutes. It was worth the effort. Jetting makes a huge difference with throttle response, spark plug life, starting, and of course "popping".

It was all thanks to this forum. I read about how to do it and just did it. Then, when my son bought his 02 YX250F, I also jetted his bike (as we rode). It is kind of a pain, but, the only way to do it right is to do it on the trail, then you can really tell if you are making an improvement.

Well Guys, I finally raced a WR450F. This one was stock except for the pipe was open. I think it is an '04.

My WR426 is YZ timed, pipe, and rejetted to perfection. I also outweighed the guy by 40 lbs. Of course, I smoked that bike. We raced a few times. He was way back there. The stock setup is really bad. I forgot how bad.

I wonder if a similar setup 450 (ie. YZ timed and jetted, nice pipe) would beat my 426, and by how much. I guess it would, but, I wonder how much?

Has anyone with a YZ timed 450 beat a YZ timed 426?

Here is a pic of my bike (all clean!! and before some scratches) :D

dsc008147pl.jpg

What kind of Racing? Desert/Track - I smoke 426's in the desert with my 450 :)

That's a suspiciously clean bike :) I think the bikes have the same potential and after that, it's all in the rider. I don't have any friends with their own dirt bikes. I have extra bikes so my friends can go with. That way I'm always the best rider!

I just had mine jetted at my favorite MX pro shop and also had Race Tech suspension installed. What a dream boat.

That's a suspiciously clean bike :) I think the bikes have the same potential and after that, it's all in the rider. I don't have any friends with their own dirt bikes. I have extra bikes so my friends can go with. That way I'm always the best rider!

I.

You are the best friend in the world :)

That's awful nice of you. :D

I recently got rid of my 98' WR400 that would run dead even with my neighbors 04 WR450. My 98' had all the free mods, exhaust , powernow. His 04' has all the free mods, exhaust, and jetted pretty good. That was in a flat out drag race, which doesn't really matter because he can loose me on the trails.

That picture was taken just after I did the graphics kit. That is alwayst the best time to take a pic. It was a flat out drag race in the dirt. :D

BTW, I haven't logged on in over a year and I notice that my signature and everything else in my profile is gone. Is there anyway to get my signature back? It had my current jetting, needle, etc... in it. I don't remember it anymore. :)

My 01 WR426 had all the free mods, YZ timing and jetted per Taffy/LarryCo for high altitude. I had no problems running dead even with my buddies 03' KTM 525 EXC. Over and over on hardpack, sandwashes, road, etc.

The 426's are fast.

I just had mine jetted at my favorite MX pro shop and also had Race Tech suspension installed. What a dream boat.

If I go can I ride your FJR :):D I have been dreaming of a new FJR1300 for a while now :D

I have an '02 yz426f, with plenty of mods. My buddy has an '03 wr450f with a few mods as well, trust me, both bikes are great, but when it comes down to track trails and drag racing, its all about the rider, I hold my own, but hes getting better about hammering down on the throttle and kicking my butt!

All in all, doesn't matter either way who wins or loses, a day of riding is better than a good week of work! :)

My 99wr400 still holds a candle my mates 04 yz450f . The wr is all YZ'd apart from the throttle stop and being re-jetted, and over a 600m drag he was only 1/2 a bike length infront till i was in 4th, then killed me till we ran outta room ! But it really does come down to has the biggest balls and skills of the rider

Hey, a "Quaking Aspen" tree in the background. Oh, you are missing a screw on the sheild on the pipe guard! :) Clean looking bike for an older 426! How do you keep the clutch cover scratch free? I always wear my paint off there.

Hey, a "Quaking Aspen" tree in the background. Oh, you are missing a screw on the sheild on the pipe guard! Clean looking bike for an older 426! How do you keep the clutch cover scratch free? I always wear my paint off there.

Hey Toyota, after numerous oil changes and washes and posting of that photo, I never noticed the missing screw! Thanks for pointing it out.

it is easy to keep the clutch cover scratch free in a photo. All you do is keep showing a photo from 2 years ago. I bought the stock bike a few years ago from a guy who never road it. Both the covers had barely any scratches on them. I started riding it and fixing it up to my liking and took that photo after I did the graphics kit, YZ fenders, and trail tech computer. Unfortunately, the clutch cover looks like my old bike now!

Anyway, the clutch cover wear is a good indicator of how much the bike has been ridden. I always buy my bikes used and that is the first thing I check when the guy says it has low hours on it.

BTW, a tip, when those graphics started peeling on the tank, I used that 3M 90 spray adhesive on the corners and that stuff works awesome! It is a very light spray glue that cleans up easy with turpentine. You can get it at Home Depot, that stuff is really great, works unreal with tank stickers! :)

If the bikes are dialed in the same....It's all rider.

My 2002 WR 426( YZ timed, jetted, YZ pipe,etc) beats most

others is in line flat drags on dry lake bed in the desert. I win every time

against my buddies vintage IT490, but when I get on the monster two

stroke and he rides mine...the IT 490 pulls the WR by 4 bike lengths!!

hey nice sticker kit ! wish we could get something like that over here in Oz !

hey nice sticker kit ! wish we could get something like that over here in Oz !

That is an 02 YZ426F sticker kit that I modified to fit the WR tank. I cut off the top of the sticker, above the dice, so, it would look good on the bigger WR tank. As long as you have a YZ rear fender, the rest fit perfect. BTW, that is a MotoXXX sticker kit. It is a few years old, but, they still sell it on the MotoXXX web site. The seat cover was a b_tch to make work. It is too long and not wide enough, but, I stretched it to make it wide enough and I tucked in the length at the back. If you are determined, like me, you can make that seat cover fit a WR seat with no wrinkles. :)

My "heavy but slow" WR garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=386 surely keeps up with the 03-04 wr450's but I rode my buddies 05 with a PC pipe and a YZ cam and I am sure it will smoke my 426 start to finish. That thing runs out good!!