XR600 rear spring change?

I'm replacing the springs in my 87 xr 600 this weekend with eibachs for my weight. The fronts are a no brainer, but I dont' know how far down to tear my rear suspension to change the shock spring. I had the suspension down last fall when I painted the frame and I greased the suspension so I dont need to do that yet this year. Any thoughts, tips, or tricks from some of you who have done this before? How lokng do you think it will take assuming everything comes apart fine? Thanks-Bob

Bob,

Not sure on the Honda's. My WR is easiest to pull the rear subframe then pull both the shock bolts (upper and lower). Your bike doesn't have a removable subframe does it? Can't be too hard? Not sure if the rear tire has to go to get the shock up and out?

Somebody here ought to know...

If it is the same as my 650L.

Remove Seat, Side covers, Airbox and rear tire.

Have bike on stand

Remove top shock mount bolt

Jack up the rear swing arm as high as possible (Makes it easier to get the bottom bolt).

Wiggle the shock out. I also found it easier to twist the top of the shock to clear the reservoir while fishing through the frame.

Hope it helps

If it is the same as my 650L.

Remove Seat, Side covers, Airbox and rear tire.

Have bike on stand

Remove top shock mount bolt

Jack up the rear swing arm as high as possible (Makes it easier to get the bottom bolt).

Wiggle the shock out. I also found it easier to twist the top of the shock to clear the reservoir while fishing through the frame.

Hope it helps

Thannks, I'm thinking along the same lines as what you did. Sounds like it should work thanks for the tip if it doesn't well I'll just have to take the suspension completely apart and grease it earlier than I had anticipated. Thanks for the input.