Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest yamahahaha

Popping

3 posts in this topic

Is it okay to get an occasional pop on the deceleration....It doesnt happen consistantly on my bike but every once and awhile (usually after i have it revved to the moon) it pops a little bit? Is there any way to richen the carb slightly without replacing a jet?

I ride an 02 426-stock motor and pipe with a Twin Air

I wouldn't even mess with it man. The bike will have to be perfectly balanced not to pop. And reving it to the moon will definetly bring the pop. On anybike it would

I wouldn't even mess with it man. The bike will have to be perfectly balanced not to pop. And reving it to the moon will definetly bring the pop. On anybike it would
The only thing wrong with this statement is that if the bike was perfectly balanced, and the exhaust system had no leaks whatsoever, it would pop on decel some of the time anyway. It's just normal. Certain engines seem more prone to it than others. Absent any air leaks in the exhaust, you can get it to stop doing that by richening the idle mixture, but you'll often end up with the idle set richer than if you just set it according to how the engine runs.

If it happens all the time, and/or it's pretty obnoxious, then you might have a problem. Look fore leaks at the midpipe/header joint, and then at the head/header. In some systems, like the WB R4, the muffler slips onto the midpipe, and can leak there as well, but that may be too far back to cause the problem. If the exhaust is OK, check your fuel mix at idle.