Which of these bikes is your primary ride?   3,776 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4,333 posts in this topic

My 99 XR600R. Im the original owner, crashed my brains out and broke bones. Sold it. Lost track of it. 10 years later saw it in town, followed it, bought it back, rebuilt it.

CRF250x subframe and rear plastic. IMS 4 gallon tank.

CRF450RUSD front forks.

Rebuilt motor with oversize kibblewhite intakes, balanced crank, white bros exhaust and crf450r exhaust so it can breath.

FCR MX41 Carb.

Baja monster.IMG_04441.JPG

My '97 Sumo

That looks so mean! Love it!

What tank do you have on there and whats the capacity? Looking for a volume upgrade on my stock XR600R tank and this looks really cool!

Thanks! I'm 16 and just moved up from an 82 xt250. My friends all goof on me for buying the older stuff but this has 30 000 km on the clock and starts first kick

2 people like this

Thanks! I'm 16 and just moved up from an 82 xt250. My friends all goof on me for buying the older stuff but this has 30 000 km on the clock and starts first kick

Dont sweat it too much. While they're changing oil and doing valve adjustments every other day, you'll be rippin up the trails! Plus you'll have a buck or two left over to take the girlies out for a burger and a Coke :)

Edited by Whippoorwill
1 person likes this

Laugh at your friends when a very minor problem shuts there brand new bike down and you're still thumping around old school.

Keep riding old bikes, much more fun and you can work on them yourself with mostly basic tools. Make it look and ride like you want, instead of a cookie cutter MX bike.

By the way, this morning, after less than 24 hours of owning it, she kicked back. Hard. Been limping all day but it's worth it for that bike, I love it

You will soon learn how to start it without kickback. It is different on most every bike depending on mods. Also it's a good idea to kick it expecting it to kick back .

The ball shaped part of my heel the faces outwards is a little smaller than a ping pong ball on the left, and just smaller than a baseball on the right haha. It's done 2 really soft kickbacks where the lever only clicked 2 or 3 times coming back up and felt no more forceful then the spring on the kickstand. And then after 2 kicks it did that, and I'm surprised I could walk 2km to my school. My dads 84 XT200 had a fried CDI box and did a full force kickback every other kick. One day it broke his foot right in half in the middle of the arch

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453226342.675975.jpg

Here's a view from the back. The silencer is completely gutted, so not a lot of back pressure, and a LOT of sputters and backfires. The guy I bought it off gave me the spark arrester assembly, although it looks like it was taken out with a hammer and chisel it's so rough. It does sound like a Harley but I doubt it's any good for it

The ball shaped part of my heel the faces outwards is a little smaller than a ping pong ball on the left, and just smaller than a baseball on the right haha. It's done 2 really soft kickbacks where the lever only clicked 2 or 3 times coming back up and felt no more forceful then the spring on the kickstand. And then after 2 kicks it did that, and I'm surprised I could walk 2km to my school. My dads 84 XT200 had a fried CDI box and did a full force kickback every other kick. One day it broke his foot right in half in the middle of the arch

I did the exact same thing a while back.

Ran it for 10 meters, dog ran out in front of me, stalled it and needed to kick it. Got the worst kickback ever: the kickstart hooked behind the heel of my boot and janked it back. Stretching the tendons that run on top of my foot, pulling my entire ankle and heel apart stretching all the interconnecting tendons, and crushed all the cartilage. My ankles are both ruined from skating and haven't had a sore ankle for years, even if I roll it all the way, but this still hurts a month later....

Turned out the PO had installed an ENKO, it flattens off the peak in the electrical signal, but a screw came out. The signal had to arc and lost a lot of power for spark. Worst. thing. ever!

Reconnected and runs like a charm, until the decomp valve got stuck and leaks... 

Jeez eh. Reading that makes me shudder. I think mine got a mild sprain (if possible from something like that). I'll be on it in a few days, but the oil is black and I'm gonna change it but muster up the courage to kick it again

My 1993 XR600R
Only new tank I could find was for a 98, so thats why it looks like a 98  :ride:

12549092_10153221166945800_9949729016823

12439039_10153221166940800_3722640790677

12509778_10153221166950800_8411652254409

1 person likes this

What would you do about the decomp leaking? Is there any way to unstick the valve? Mines fine but for further reference

The source turns out to be two-fold. Carbon build up along the valve and a spring that is too light, keeping it open. Probably will lap the valve and put a better spring in, because I want to sell this engine probably.

I got a two tips on the fix:

One is to weld the valve hole shut, as this has a decomp valve on the exhaust as well. This one has a lever on the handlebars. The intake one is connected to the kick. This is unique to the XL.

The other is what I will do: lapping and spring replacement.