Which of these bikes is your primary ride?   3,777 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4,346 posts in this topic

Heres my PIG

Its my mash up and ground up rebuild of two wrecked bikes.... A 1991 xr600 with big bore XR650L motor, elec start and all the OEM street legal wiring for lights, horn etc.

Looks pretty good for an old thumper

8035c551.jpg

2 people like this

Heres a pic yesterday with the supertrapp all welded up, wings/shrouds on the tank and the seat shaved down 2". What do you guys think? Shrouds or no shrouds?

I kinda like the look without them, but i ride a lot of slower trails in the woods and hardly any fast roads so I am worried about cooling without them.

7f02aa64.jpg

cheers

Lonnie

What did you paint your parts with? I tried painting my side panels the other day an the results were.....less than desirable.

Plastic parts are done with Krylon fusion paint for plastic. Scuff the parts and clean REALLY well then let it dry for a couple days before you put it back together. Its pretty durable stuff. I got it at Home Depot or some hardware place like that. The tank was scuffed, then primered and painted it "Krylon One" rust paint. Seat was dyed black. The fenders are CRF450 from Honda.

What did you use to scuff them with? I used some rough-ish steel wool followed by some scotch-brite. Maybe mine were just a little too far gone to begin with...

I just used scotchbrite and made sure all the surfaces were good and dull especially the edges and corners. Then wipe it down a couple times with mineral spirits. Make sure its REALLY clean. A good paint job is 90% prep. Then about 3 light coats of plastic paint like Krylon. Then let it cure for a couple days before you start to abuse it. It will scratch but its pretty durable. I'll just repaint it when it gets too banged up a few months down the road. No big deal. I only ride off road. If you ride only on the street, then it will last for years.

Nothing new just some "Hey I washed it pix. New side panels on the way.

untitled.png

untitled1.png

Edited by teampiney

Bought a 2005 XR650L with 1200 miles on it and bone stock. Rode it for another 1000 stock and then modded: de-smogged, Daves mods, jetted to 55/162, UNI air filter, clarke tank, XR's only header and pipe. Just wanted to say thank you to all on this forum for all the help. If ever in Boise or Atlanta i owe you a few cool ones.

Minor mods I did right away (Rack,tank, hand guards, and skid plate)

xr650l1.jpg

After mods

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

2 people like this

Heres my PIG

Its my mash up and ground up rebuild of two wrecked bikes.... A 1991 xr600 with big bore XR650L motor, elec start and all the OEM street legal wiring for lights, horn etc.

8035c551.jpg

Very Nice!!!

Very Nice!!!

Thanks!

I just got a lead on a cheap 1995 XR600 that was crashed and has bent forks. Perfect!!! Dont need them anyways. Perfect for a USD conversion!!!

Edited by Double_Red_Rolex

Heres my PIG

8035c551.jpg

Hi Double can you post a couple of pics of how you mounted the CRF rear fender? maybe a shot of the other side of the bike?? :cry:

Yep next time I have the seat off I will take some pics. I chopped a LOT of the fender off with my Dremel. Basicly left the two side bolt holes that mount to the XR frame and enough "meat" on top under the seat to bolt through the top of that metal arch under the seat. The back 5" of the two frame tubes are chopped off. You basicly jam the fender in there, figure out where it needs to sit, and then start cutting away everything you dont need. Its easy to do, just takes some time.

b9332596.jpg

Edited by Double_Red_Rolex

The back 5" of the two frame tubes are chopped off.

Thanks for getting back to me. There was something with your bike but i couldn't put my finder on it... it was the missing frame tubes. Your bike looks outstanding! I have the crf rear fender on my bike but have been looking for other options of mounting. yesterday I trimed my side panels...here is a couple of pic of my bike with the trimed side panels.

Iphonepics001-2.jpg

Iphonepics006a.jpg

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Edited by Cumbacheech

You bikes looks really good. What a big difference the CRF fenders make!

I wish I had left on the back frame section because now when i go to grab the back of the bike to slide or move it, I really dont have much to grab onto. I might actually weld a short piece back on above the muffler thats just long enough to grab onto like a handle.

What kind of rear lisence plate mount is that on your bike? Is there a brake light in there also? I was thinking about mounting a brake light into the back of my seat to hide it but your mount looks nice and small.

PIGS can fly!

Found a couple pics that a friend snapped while I was playing around on a track.

IMG_4217-1.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

3 people like this

You bikes looks really good. What a big difference the CRF fenders make!

I wish I had left on the back frame section because now when i go to grab the back of the bike to slide or move it, I really dont have much to grab onto. I might actually weld a short piece back on above the muffler thats just long enough to grab onto like a handle.

What kind of rear lisence plate mount is that on your bike? Is there a brake light in there also? I was thinking about mounting a brake light into the back of my seat to hide it but your mount looks nice and small.

It is a DRC Edge 2 Tail Light, light & comes with a licence plate bracket. Nice compact and bright.

Edited by Cumbacheech