denro

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?  

4331 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

Last week I was thinking about various bikes, and test rode a 2008 ZX-10, which I've always wanted since I did 150 on a 90 zx10 twenty years ago. I wanted something for my long commute that would let me blast through congestion and left lane loiterers. But after much searching of all of the internet classifieds and my soul, I slid over to the other bike I've always wanted which is what you see here...

SANY0853.JPG

SANY0854.JPG

SANY0855.JPG

SANY0856.JPG

SANY0857.JPG

SANY0858.JPG

SANY0859.JPG

SANY0860.JPG

SANY0861.JPG

SANY0862.JPG

SANY0863.JPG

SANY0864.JPG

SANY0865.JPG

SANY0866.JPG

SANY0867.JPG

?

I've taken all of the stickers off, but put the front fender sticker back on. Also has an extra white larger tank, I think I'll put that on and paint it and the scoops red, recover the seat not sure what colors yet.

So far I have peeled the stickers and cut the hand hold in the side panel and put about 100 miles on it off and on road combined. Seat gets uncomfortable! I need to look up what ot do about that, though I've seen some interesting pics of what looked like a wool cover...I had a blast this weekend!

plus it came with a set of like new stockish tires, maybe the originals I don't know. This thing is very clean, 56 miles on the brand new baja designs street kit.

Story goes and it was very believable, guy I bought it off is a 50 y/o former stunt show jumper, yz250's 30+ years ago (I saw an old pic of him jumping over a bunch of harleys?). So supposedly he bought the bike off his buddy in Montana, who is a now 65 y/o stunt jumper who was formerly Evel Kneivel's former bodyguard turned preacher and has been doing www.jumpforjesus.com still now and since 1970 (well not the www.com), this bike I just baught was his backup jump bike, who could make this up? Bike also came with some rear sprockets, one is huge like 8" more in diameter, he said it is for doing wheelie shows, he was going to do stunt shows with the bike but decided he already broke too many bones.

I got my bike all done in time to ride the Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride, totally stoked.....Here is a picture http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/artimious7/xr600%20build/?action=view&current=IMG-Complete.jpg

It's my CRF450x inspired 98 XR600r

wow dude!

questions:

is that the crf airbox or xr modified?

crf subframe? 450 or 250 are they the same?

that tank look like the ims 4 galon? it look just like mine, but I have spacing issues on the right side, its very close to the fins and boils the gas!

is that a crf front fender too? again i have that fender but I took about 2-3 inches off the back and cut holes in it since the crf fender was longer in the back and I wanted a little extra airflow, which helped BTW!

anyways AWESOME bike man...

finally any details on jetting and intake/airflow mods, obviously the pics show but did you have a lot of trouble?

oh, and are those cr forks too?

thanks

AWESOME BIKE DUDE!

Click on the link below to view pics of the build. Here is a list off all the mods.

Cut off and discarded the entire xr600 subframe and all componets.

Installed new 450x subframe, seat, side plates and fenders

450x airbox (moded it, see pics)

450x Two Brothers racing muffler (moded to fit White Bros SS XR600 header)

450x Rear brake master cylinder converion

CRF450r Carb (custom intake manifold)

Inverted front end

Suspension done by House of Horsepower

200 watt stator, Trail Tech head light

Powder coated frame and subframe gloss black

Custom bar risers

Gutts Racing soft seat foam (for long DS rides)

Magura Hydrolic clutch conversion ?

Talon gold hubs

Black Excel rims

Braking Oversized front Rotor (A must have on this bike)

Garmin GPSmap 60 csx

Clark 4 gallon tank (needed the long range)

Ims pegs

Pro moto billet kick stand (cut off original mount, made a new mount and installed the pmb kick stand from a CR500) way better fit and looks really cool too....

All my fabrication work was done by a shop in Hayward, Ca. Curt Winter @ BTRmoto.com. He is building some of the badest bikes around right now. He can do anything you want and his prices are very reasonable.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/artimious7/xr600%20build/

Edited by artimious7
  • Like 1

Click on the link below to view pics of the build. Here is a list off all the mods.

Inverted front end

Custom bar risers

Magura Hydrolic clutch conversion :smashpc:

Talon gold hubs

Black Excel rims

Garmin GPSmap 60 csx

Ims pegs

Pro moto billet kick stand (cut off original mount, made a new mount and installed the pmb kick stand from a CR500) way better fit and looks really cool too....

All my fabrication work was done by a shop in Hayward, Ca. Curt Winter @ BTRmoto.com. He is building some of the badest bikes around right now. He can do anything you want and his prices are very reasonable.

Very nice! I've been really looking at doing this, except I want to keep the XR seat for more comfort. Hopefully I'll end up doing it this winter

I just picked up this 2001 650R in anticipation of the positive change to Washington states streetable dirtbike law. So far I've added a 200w Ricky Stator and one of their 7" Hi/Lo halogen racelights.

I live in Olympia (state capital), and know how crooked the politicians are, so I figured I wasn't going to buy anything for the bike that didn't have good offroad purposes until it actually happens (so no blinkers or mirrors, etc. YET).

"If" everything works out all right I'll get it plated after January. In the meantime, I'm having a great big hoot just blasting along on the thing!

8x9616.jpg

I just picked up this 2001 650R in anticipation of the positive change to Washington states streetable dirtbike law. So far I've added a 200w Ricky Stator and one of their 7" Hi/Lo halogen racelights.

I live in Olympia (state capital), and know how crooked the politicians are, so I figured I wasn't going to buy anything for the bike that didn't have good offroad purposes until it actually happens (so no blinkers or mirrors, etc. YET).

"If" everything works out all right I'll get it plated after January. In the meantime, I'm having a great big hoot just blasting along on the thing!

8x9616.jpg

Wow, that is sharp. It looks like a very low hour machine. :smashpc:

1997 XR650L

Tuned 38MM Carb, Big Gun pipe, 660 Kit

1997xr650Lrearsidevire.jpg

1997xr650Lsideanglewithlighton.jpg

Updated...added 4.7 clarke tank - Wanted to increase the range and enjoy the ride. I found myself looking at the mileage all the time with the stock tank. Added fork boots and removed the stickers on the side panels:

XR650LStrands1.jpg

Edited by tony92629

@ bigxr650r I'm sure there is a 68s jet that may help you out, I'm sure that is one of the changes to do. The 68 pilot jet is similar to the 68s. They both share the same main orifice size for the discharge nozzle, but the 68s has smaller emulsion holes on the sides of its tube. Try this as it makes them better to start, hope this helps you out.

Inverted front end

Custom bar risers

Magura Hydrolic clutch conversion :smashpc:

Talon gold hubs

Black Excel rims

Garmin GPSmap 60 csx

Ims pegs

That has got to be the best looking XR600 I have ever seen:worthy:

Not only looks good but the subframe is no longer welded to the frame:thumbsup: and im sure removes alot of weight from the bike.

Where did you put your battery, got any pics of that?