denro

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?  

4331 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

• XR650R
    • XR650L
    • XR600R
    • XL600
    • Other XL/XR

Just want to thank all of you out there who took the time to post tips, tricks, advise, and recommendations for the XR650L.  This was my first build and it was a TAT specific build.  I chose the 650l because of its simplicity and my mechanical skills.  I purchased a bone stock, 2012 last year with 2k miles on it.  My theory on this build was to buy everything at once (instead of piece by piece, year by year) and spend the winter building it.  When I started this project I had a list and, had anticipated when the list was complete, the bike would be finished.  However, I soon realized it is impossible to finish one of these bikes.  With that said, the parts and mods you can see from the pictures. I'm not sure what luggage I will use for TAT yet.  The backpack was a cheap way to add storage in a that is familiar and comfortable to me  (I travel a lot and do it out of a backpack). No motor work, just a dave's mod and re-jet on the carb.  Its geared 14/48 with an 650R front sprocket.   I've spent about 7.5K to get her to this point.  Any questions i'll attempt to answer.  Again, thanks to all who post, you've saved me more time and money than I care to think about.  If your ever in Nor Cal and need anything shoot me an email. 

IMG_2177.JPGIMG_2178.JPGIMG_2179.JPGIMG_2180.JPGIMG_2182.JPGIMG_2183.JPGIMG_2184.JPGIMG_2185.JPGIMG_2189.JPGIMG_2190.JPG

• Like 3

Just want to thank all of you out there who took the time to post tips, tricks, advise, and recommendations for the XR650L. This was my first build and it was a TAT specific build. I chose the 650l because of its simplicity and my mechanical skills. I purchased a bone stock, 2012 last year with 2k miles on it. My theory on this build was to buy everything at once (instead of piece by piece, year by year) and spend the winter building it. When I started this project I had a list and, had anticipated when the list was complete, the bike would be finished. However, I soon realized it is impossible to finish one of these bikes. With that said, the parts and mods you can see from the pictures. I'm not sure what luggage I will use for TAT yet. The backpack was a cheap way to add storage in a that is familiar and comfortable to me (I travel a lot and do it out of a backpack). No motor work, just a dave's mod and re-jet on the carb. Its geared 14/48 with an 650R front sprocket. I've spent about 7.5K to get her to this point. Any questions i'll attempt to answer. Again, thanks to all who post, you've saved me more time and money than I care to think about. If your ever in Nor Cal and need anything shoot me an email.

📎IMG_2177.JPG📎IMG_2178.JPG📎IMG_2179.JPG📎IMG_2180.JPG📎IMG_2182.JPG📎IMG_2183.JPG📎IMG_2184.JPG📎IMG_2185.JPG📎IMG_2189.JPG📎IMG_2190.JPG

Very nice build! I recommend going to XR'S ONLY and buying their casesaver. Its a small piece for the bottom of the left case. Silicone it on with RTV. The cases are vulnerable to rocks from factory. Just my .02.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1396226265.752736.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1396226276.736173.jpg

After the first ride a few days ago. A 41 fcr carb and 07 450 forks were the biggest improvements with RSW triple clamps and some pro taper bars. Powder coated wheels/hubs, led turn signals and voyager gps were also added. Every chassis berring is also new.

This thing is really fun now.

Edited by Guest

Also any advise on finding a rear fender stunt bar for the xr650r?? I know im not the first to want to install axle sliders and stunt bar please help

Actually, I think you ARE the first one to want those things.

In the five years I've been following this forum, this is the first time I've seen either mentioned.

No im not the first, u can google search images and you tube search xr650r supermoto and see other xrr that have axle sliders. And as far as the rear stunt bar iv seen em on yamaha wr's, honda crf's, suzuki drz's and other supermotos, ktm..i know there out there i just cant find them iv been searching for 8 monthes..i made a stunt bar for my crf450r years ago, but it was a lot of work i just wanna buy one and bolt on this time..help help fellow xrr riders, supermoto riders?

No im not the first, u can google search images and you tube search xr650r supermoto and see other xrr that have axle sliders. And as far as the rear stunt bar iv seen em on yamaha wr's, honda crf's, suzuki drz's and other supermotos, ktm..i know there out there i just cant find them iv been searching for 8 monthes..i made a stunt bar for my crf450r years ago, but it was a lot of work i just wanna buy one and bolt on this time..help help fellow xrr riders, supermoto riders?

This is probably not the best place to ask, try: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forum.php

Those guys are fully into super motards and the XRR is a popular choice amongst them and they all have sliders.

Ya iv thought of doing something similar, but answer me this..

*have you ever been down on the bike with that set up?

* (if yes) how fast were ya going and did they hold up to the crash or just rip right off?

Anyone else wanna chime in on the conversation..what are others doing when purchasing or installing axle sliders on a xr650r? I know im not the first to want to do this on this bike and iv seen store bought sliders or slider kits on these bikes before!

Yes, crashed several times at various speeds.  Only problem was bending the front all thread a little, 1/4"?  But it never broke.