I don't want to burn a hole in my pants...

Originally posted by Scott F:

Bryan, I was able to prevent burns by making an aluminum heat shield. It was easy. Let me know if you want details.

I currently have header wrap on my PC T4 but the brush eventually unravels it at the header bend. I’ve been thinking about various ways to combat this, from low-tech Silver Bullet™ to medium-tech bent aluminum tubing.

So I’m interested in whatever ideas you have come up with Scott. Post ‘em here or send me an email.

burt@123mail.net

I plan on brazing up a couple nuts ( a la the stocker) to my Big Gun header and making a copy of the stock heat shield out of carbon fiber. With the higher bend of the Big Gun header it is more prone to damage from tip overs or drops. The Big Gun header does seem to tuck in better around the boot area though. Anyone running one of these like to comment?

fershy

On my 99, I run the White Bros tapered header. I haven't had any problems with torching my britches yet. I hope I don't ?

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

I was able to re-use my stock guard & mounting screws on my GYT-R header. Three 1.75" hose clamps, and three metric panel nuts, the type that clip onto sheetmetal. Run the panel nuts upside-down, with the clip part under each hose clamp. It takes a little fiddling to get the the alignment right, but it looks sharp when done. I turned the hose clamps screws under the pipe, so as not to be visible. About $2 worth of parts at the local hardware store. No more melted pants ?

Steve, very clever. Wish I had thought of it. Fortunately, Yoshimura is now putting heat shield mounts on their pipes.

Hick, I made it out of perforated aluminum, and attached it with safety wire. It was very light and effective. I rolled it into a half tube, about 6-8" long. Then I cut narrow v-slots about 1" apart to curve it in the front. You could buy some aluminum and form your own.

Scott F