how hard is it to change tires?

I just changed tires for the first time on my wr450 and did both the front and rear. It was also the first time I ever took a front or rear wheel off (only been riding a year). I just bought some 8" motion pro tire irons and some heavy duty tubes, and I worked off the floor. Don't get me wrong, it is a pain in the ass the first time around, but I am glad I did it and now will never pay to get it done. If I were you I would go for it, what do you have to lose? The irons I bought were only $4 a piece, so I figured if I couldn't do it and had to pay to get it done, I wouldn't be out to much.

The most important tip is to make sure the bead opposite the side your working on is in the drop center of the rim.

Good luck!!

$10 at your local shop...normally if you get the tire there they will do it for free ?

$10 at your shop, but I can tell you that bringing in tires and rims to a shop around here will run you no less than 35 a wheel. They charge that much when you don't buy tires from them, but then they'll discount the installation when you buy their tires at an un-godly price. Internet deals are best, and I'll bust my chops swapping them myself. Most shops in MA are criminal in their prices.

Is it difficult to change your own tires? What tools would I need. Thanks guys.

This is a interesting question....

I do my own, until I realize how much of a pain in the arse it is... usually one tire in it reminds me!!!

If you're to do a front... it's cake.

If you're to do a rear... depends on the wheel/tire combo.

19" are harder... not enough 'tire' to flex and make it easier on you and the wrench.

18" are easier... more tire, the easier.

However, you try and do a Dunlop 739 AT... and it's sidewall is soooo stiff, you nearly rip your knuckles off gettin the tube out. GAWD FORBID you have an extra heavy duty tube! It makes it even harder.

I use the long black coated tire irons... they have a curve in one end. Motion Pro makes some really nice ones... but this pic is the type I use and I carry 3 on me when in Baja!! Yes, 3!! I duct tape and zip tie them to my lower fork leg on my XR. Makes tire changes a sinch when in the open country. And they're out of the way when and if you crash. (oh, and sometimes the larger 'spoon' type are harder to NOT pinch a tube. The smaller lip on the one's I use make it really easy to feel around as you mount the new tire - just my opinion)

... buying the tires at a shop and having them do the work is the easy way... cost will depend on many things. Tires/wheels on the bike? Off the bike? How many beadlocks...etc. etc. Anywhere from $5 to $40 (at the rip off houses).

Like said... best to do some yourself... get the hang of it. You NEVER know when you need the experience. Maybe watching a tire shop guy do yours "by hand" the first few times will help. Don't watch your buddy who has all the wrong habits... and curses every time the tire iron in his crotch lets loose!!!

...have fun!

However, you try and do a Dunlop 739 AT... and it's sidewall is soooo stiff, you nearly rip your knuckles off gettin the tube out. GAWD FORBID you have an extra heavy duty tube! It makes it even harder.

Hey Johnny, have you ever tried to strap a ratchet strap around your tire?? That really opens it up allot so you have space to stick your hand in to get the valve stem in. Works great on my D606 and Moose heavy duty tubes. ?

Hey Johnny, have you ever tried to strap a ratchet strap around your tire?? That really opens it up allot so you have space to stick your hand in to get the valve stem in. Works great on my D606 and Moose heavy duty tubes. ?

Not recently... I use my tire iron to open up the sidewall, stick my hand in and move the valve stem over to the hole. Then use the valve stem remover (that has the threaded male end as well) to thread into the valve stem and pull it out where I can get a nut onto it.... works okay, but the strap works too. I'm just too impatient to rig the strap, when I can grab an iron and go to work.

Thanks for the reminder!!! :D It may work better for others than I!! ?

Not recently... I use my tire iron to open up the sidewall, stick my hand in and move the valve stem over to the hole. Then use the valve stem remover (that has the threaded male end as well) to thread into the valve stem and pull it out where I can get a nut onto it.... works okay, but the strap works too. I'm just too impatient to rig the strap, when I can grab an iron and go to work.

Thanks for the reminder!!! ? It may work better for others than I!! :D

I've seen once one of those stem guide tools to insert it, I had the first time the biggest problems with my front tire to get the stem in... must have been because it was so narrow even with strap around it. Was about to put it on my shopping list ;-)

I guess its just about getting your technique down, now I get pretty quick changing tires front and rear since my friends let me do it on theirs as well... how do they say - practice - practice - practice !!

10-4... I hear ya.

This is the stem tool I use.... pitposse_1846_51702888.gif

I keep one in my tool box, glove box, on my bike(s)... etc. That plastic one that comes with some tubes is just junk. Especially when you're on the trail and the valve stem is bound up a bit... the "tool" works awesome. And it can double as a valve cap somewhat!

?

I've seen once one of those stem guide tools to insert it, I had the first time the biggest problems with my front tire to get the stem in... must have been because it was so narrow even with strap around it. Was about to put it on my shopping list ;-)

I guess its just about getting your technique down, now I get pretty quick changing tires front and rear since my friends let me do it on theirs as well... how do they say - practice - practice - practice !!

That looks like a nifty tool ? , the one I saw was more like a snake with threaded end

ahhhhaaaa... you said "tool". ahh haa haahhaaahh.... :D

(sorry... couldn't resist).

It's here, the place I grabbed the pic from. With this explanation;

INSERTS & REMOVES VALVE CORES & CORES WITH BROKEN SWIVELS.

CLEANS & RECUTS THREADS ON BOTH INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF VALVE.

Like I said... I run around lost without one! When the valve stem is just inside the wheel... out of reach, you stick this bad boy into the stem and thread it in... and use it to pull the valve stem to where you need it. Then, you can thread on the nut. It works awesome.

The only time it frustrates me... is when you can't turn it easily with the spokes getting in the way (as you remove a valve stem before dismounting a tire). It takes some (insert beer of choice here) to maintain the attitude. ?