HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hamish

How much fork oil 01 426?

10 posts in this topic

I found in the manual how many mm from the top to set the fork oil, but it doesnt tell you how many litres you need to do the job :) Can anyone let me know, just so I know how many bottles I need, thanks

For modern suspension that is how you do it. You will need to buy 2 Quart size bottles.

Can someone help me out with my forks? Every time I put oil in them they will only hold a small ammount...

I do exactly how the manual says how to do it...

Fill er up

pump the rod many times

fill er up again

pump the fork tube up and down

so &%$#@!

Can someone help me out with my forks? Every time I put oil in them they will only hold a small ammount...

Define small amount......Is it a 2oz or 4oz or 18oz??

A '98-'03 should hold right around a pint in each fork leg IF they are pumped fairly dry before they're refilled. An '04 holds slightly more. A lot of pumping and tipping and fooling around is required to accomplish that.

On refilling, I do it just a bit differently than the manual procedure in that I pump oil through the outer tube before I do the damper rod. I fill it all the way to the top, then work through the entire stroke once or twice, refill if it's below the first row of oiling holes in the outer tube, and work the outer tube through the prescribed 8" of stroke about ten more times. Then, I'll add a little oil and pump the damper rod until all the air is out. You can tell, the rod will resist you evenly all the way to the top instead of hitting an "easy spot' at the end.

Doing it this way addresses the concern about getting enough oil between the upper and lower outer tubes without having to dump as much out to get the oil level right after you bleed the damper cartridge.

thanks guys. I removed the dampner rods so I could clean all the dirty oil out of the bottom of the tubes,valves etc, so the forks will be completely dry. I'll put them back together in the next few days so I'll see how it goes.

For some strange reason, I'm much happier building an engine than I am playing with suspension :)

For some strange reason, I'm much happier building an engine than I am playing with suspension :)
Less voodoo involved. :D

I just re-assembled my 02 426 forks and at 100mm it used just under a whole 1000cc bottle of Golden Spectro. It was an already opened bottle so I might have filled it to the top from the remaining oil from another job. Get 2 bottles to be on the safe side.

To bleed......I like to screw the cap on w/o the spring, screwing the cap on when fully extended then using the trapped air to re-extend compress several times till you feel no cavitation.