1983 xr 500

Hey guys. I am looking at an ' 83 xr 500 for $400 o.b.o The add reads that the bike runs strong but has lost second gear. What do you guys think is broken, and or out of adjustment ? The add did mention something about it having a new barnet clutch kit. Thanks for any advice here.

If you buy it and need parts, i have two '83 500's right now. One is in pieces, but... it isn't an XR. Though i do seem to remember the engines are the same ?

PM me if interested. The one 500 is already in pieces and most likely will never run again.

and those bikes run hard if taken care of properly.

Replacing transmission parts like gears shift drums shift forks main shaft counter shaft can get very expensive plus all gaskets to put it back together. MMM i would pass it up and look for something in better condition. Good luck!!

Well guys, I went with an '82 xl 500R. Picked it up for $675. But it runs great and shifts through all its gears. Real nice shape with 5800 miles on the odometer. (and brand new tires and new front rim) Really a clean bike. Suspension is very tight. Cant wait to hit the trails !