HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Juiceman

05 WR450 Ticking sound at times ???

21 posts in this topic

At about 100-150 miles my bike started making a loud ticking sound. I was on a ride and had droped the bike on a hill nothing major I picked it back up rode it down for another try. That was the first time I heard the noise another rider heard it also it was very loud. I inspected the exterior of the engine no damage. The noise went away. I now have 260 miles on the bike and I have heard the noise since but it only happends every so often. I have changed the oil 4 times in the 260 miles and every time it looks like I should have changed it sooner (very dark). I have seen no metal in the oil. The bike runs strong. I am concerned about this noise as I plan to keep this bike for a long time. Any ideas? has anyone had a noise like this. I did a search but I did not find anything that sounded like my noise. HELP!! if you can......

chat room diagnosis with the info you gave us is virtually impossible, sorry.

When new WR owners complain about noises, 9 1/2 times out of 10 it's chain slap. Do the chain slider mod (do a search) and adjust the chain correctly and see how it goes. If the bike makes the noise when stationary, thats a different story.

chat room diagnosis with the info you gave us is virtually impossible, sorry.

When new WR owners complain about noises, 9 1/2 times out of 10 it's chain slap. Do the chain slider mod (do a search) and adjust the chain correctly and see how it goes. If the bike makes the noise when stationary, thats a different story.

Hamish you are correct I re-read my post. Let me try again :worthy:

After I dropped the bike I coasted down the hill then re-started the bike on flat ground. The bike was making the noise while stationary. The noise would not go away and we were far in to the woods the only way out was up the steep hill. I tried it 3 times and finally made it up. The bike was making this noise both stationary and while under power. The bike did not seem to loose power but I am still getting acquainted with the bike and a subtle loss of power may have gone unnoticed. The bike also overheated that day and lost some coolant. May be one is related to the other? I have since been back to the same spot made the hill first try the bike did not overheat or make the noise. The noise has come back but not as loud as the first time. It may be a different noise :) but it sounds similar. I have a background in mechanics (not shadetree) :D . I guess I am fishing to see if anyone has had a similar experience not so much did I post this looking for an exact diagnosis. If a diagnosis can be given then cool but I doubt any good diagnosis can be given on-line. However the internet is a great place for people to kick around ideas and sometimes that is the best way to get going in the right direction for a good diagnosis. OOPS I think I'm kind of ranting now please forgive me :D:):D

The chain slider issue is supposedly corrected for '05.

My 250F no longer has the "cups"... just a larger head screw, and it appears that there is a pad of some kind between the slider and top of the swingarm.

I got tboned by a quad the other day and it jammed the brake lever into the clutch cover and the clutch was rubbing the case and making a clicking noise.

Checked/adjusted your valves yet?

Joe

Hey Joe where you going with that gun in your hand....... :):D:worthy:

Sorry having a Hendrix moment..... OK I'm over it now..

No I have not checked the Valves yet. The guy at Modesto Yamaha told me when I bought it that I would not have to check the valves for along time :D

I went to Prairie City with my son today and put about 25 miles on the bike. The noise was there but not as loud as when I first heard it. The more I listen to it I think it may be a valve :D It seems kind of early to get a valve noise (5 weeks and about 270 miles since I bought it). I do ride it hard but I don't abuse it. I thought these bikes were tough??? The main reason I chose this bike over the Honda was valve problems. I am now about 10 days out of warranty and I am concerned. I plan on keeping this bike for along time 6 grand is allot of cash to me. I was told the valve seats would wear causing the valve lash to tighten up over time. The noise I am hearing if it is a valve sounds like too much clearance :):D Any thoughts on this?

I am shying away from taking it to the dealer as I have heard that the dealers tend to blame everything on owner abuse and I will end up with a hefty bill. Not to mention I am out of warranty by 10 days and counting....

Hey Joe where you going with that gun in your hand....... :):D:D

Sorry having a Hendrix moment..... OK I'm over it now..

No I have not checked the Valves yet. The guy at Modesto Yamaha told me when I bought it that I would not have to check the valves for along time :worthy:

I went to Prairie City with my son today and put about 25 miles on the bike. The noise was there but not as loud as when I first heard it. The more I listen to it I think it may be a valve :D It seems kind of early to get a valve noise (5 weeks and about 270 miles since I bought it). I do ride it hard but I don't abuse it. I thought these bikes were tough??? The main reason I chose this bike over the Honda was valve problems. I am now about 10 days out of warranty and I am concerned. I plan on keeping this bike for along time 6 grand is allot of cash to me. I was told the valve seats would wear causing the valve lash to tighten up over time. The noise I am hearing if it is a valve sounds like too much clearance :):D Any thoughts on this?

I am shying away from taking it to the dealer as I have heard that the dealers tend to blame everything on owner abuse and I will end up with a hefty bill. Not to mention I am out of warranty by 10 days and counting....

The valves need to be checked (and possibly adjusted) after break in (around 250 miles) after that they should stay in spec for many miles.

Yours are due for the break in check though :D

When it's time for a valve adjustment you'll hear a slight clicking sound from the top end and your bike will be harder to start and will start liking the hotstart more and more. Other than that, the bike's are so quiet that chainslap is more apparent.

Dan :)

Sounds like I'm due for a valve clearance check. Thanks for all the info. I called my local shop and the guy on the phone told me if its makin noise not to worry about it but if it made me feel better I could make an appointment...

I think I will check them my self. I will report back when I'm done.

Any tricks that are not in the manual? The manual reads like I should check them cold. But if I remember it does not come right out and say check them cold. Any thoughts on that? I will do a search in the forums to see if there are any tricks also. Thanks for all the input.

OK I finally checked my valves at 420 miles. All valves are withen spec and all are very close to each other. I have more info on the noise. It seems to only make the noise after climbing steep hills at slow speeds. It is an engine noise not a drive train noise as it is in time with the engine speed and it is there at a stop. When climbing I do not use my clutch there is no need to this bike has the power. It may be related to temp as it will go away after getting some air over the rads. I have not overheated the bike since the on time it spewed coolant the first time I heard the noise. Any ideas?

Thanks, Just curious how many people have to adjust the valves? My dealer told me not to worry about them but every one here said I should have checked them sooner than I did. Mine were right in spec. I guess my dealer was right but at least I have the peace of mind now.

I have over 4000 miles on my '03. I check the valves about every 600 miles and have only had to adjust one intake valve by .001 at 3000 miles so far.

:) Lowedog

Juiceman,

You've said one particular point a couple of times. "It started doing it after you over heated it while climbing a hill". Does it do it only when you work the bike hard "climbing hills" or do you think it is more "incline" related. Angle or load? If you think it's incline/angle related, I'm wondering if we need to look at the oiling system a little more in detail? Versus saying it's doing it on flat ground when you work it hard and get the temp up.

Just thinking...I have an 05 with 260 miles on it. I share similar thoughts about the longevity versus the cash outlay. :) The bike has never let me down, but time is not on our side yet.

not saying that there might not be a problem,but these are the noisiest dang motors i've ever heard,i relate the sounds they make to a yanmar single :) and they fluctuate in sounds as the temp increases :)

not saying that there might not be a problem,but these are the noisiest dang motors i've ever heard

Oh man... I guess you've never heard a Cannondale before.. :)