Swapping

Alright you XR650 gurus.. Can you swap the seat and tank from a 650R to a 650L? I love the looks of the 650R. Or instead of swapping do any of you know if the 650R is street legal in California? ?

Actually no I wasn't kididing. I'm just now getting into dirt/motard bikes and I'm trying to get a feel for which ones are the best for what I want. I was seriously looking at getting an XR650 so I could double duty it, but if this is the kind of replies I get, I don't know if this is too helpful. I apologize if my ignorance offended. :D Guess it's time to look at Yamaha. ?

If you want the easy way get a "L" because its already street leagal, just it lacks a little power.

I've ridden CBR600's for over 10 years and the "L" I bought last year seems kinda lame to what I was used to, but I wouldn't expect that much more from an "R" either. (Ok, that will stir up those "R" guys again, wasn't meant to)

For my purpose the "L" does it. Anyway, you won't be able to find the bike that does it all perfect... you should decide first what's most important for you.

Your question about swapping tank and seat doesn't work because those are two complete different frames, plus the "R" is water cooled. I don't know how that would look like if you put the shrouds on and no radiator. And never ask a "R" guy if you could put any of their bikes parts on a "L", they are kind of picky with that and take it personal :D?

The "R" should be able to get street legal in California. I think there are many guys around here who have done it, if you search around here you sure will find that information.

If you want the easy way get a "L" because its already street leagal, just it lacks a little power.

I've ridden CBR600's for over 10 years and the "L" I bought last year seems kinda lame to what I was used to, but I wouldn't expect that much more from an "R" either. (Ok, that will stir up those "R" guys again, wasn't meant to)

yea i drove my lambo for 2 years then i bought my dodge truck last year kinda lame to what i was used to but i wouldnt want to compare two completly differet things. street bike to a wanna be street bike. ?

chips, i am positive that they wont swap, if you look in all the catalogs they have different part numbers, and also they might hold the same name xr650 but are completly two different bikes.

ride on

mike

Chips, perfectly acceptable questions. Just somewhat beat to death, especially CA red/green sticker thing. Seat and side panels will not swap between the 650R/L.

In CA a couple years ago, the greenie-weenie law makers fixed it so that you can't get a 650R, or any real dirt bike, titled for street use.. before that you could and if you can find one titled before the date, it's still valid. I live in Va so I don't know the specifics, but it was/is a big deal out there.

yea i drove my lambo for 2 years then i bought my dodge truck last year kinda lame to what i was used to ...

ride on

mike

Hey Mike, I was referring to his signature and street bikes and comment that he is just looking into it. That for my comment about the comparison. I think everyone can figure that they don't compare to top speed but I would have thought that accelerating would have been somehow equal to a certain speed...

Nice you having dreams but I don't believe you could ever afford something like what you mentioned other than your Dodge truck... I like those guys like you who pick more on others spelling and blabla and cut everything down... oh, u ride a "R". Sorry my fault... ?

Yep i ride a "R" and i love my "R" and dont worry bro some day...maybe...hopefully, ill have that lambo and ill come pick you up and take you to get a beer or 3 just as long as you pay for them...insurance is a killer these days. OH, u ride a "L" sorry should of know you couldnt take a JOKE!

Yep i ride a "R" and i love my "R" and dont worry bro some day...maybe...hopefully, ill have that lambo and ill come pick you up and take you to get a beer or 3 just as long as you pay for them...insurance is a killer these days. OH, u ride a "L" sorry should of know you couldnt take a JOKE!

LOL, OK deal - if I get to ride in your Lamborghini I'll pay for the beer or 3... ? even though I don't get your jokes

Yeah, Go to local Honda dealer trade that L in for a XR650R and dual sport it.. :worthy:

That will be the best swap you could do and you'll be glad you did.... ?

Who me? If so, I already got an oil burning "R" and I love the smell ?:D

If you meant Chips23, I thought he had neither one of those yet :D

Det

Who me? If so, I already got an oil burning "R" and I love the smell :D:worthy:

If you meant Chips23, I thought he had neither one of those yet ?

Det

Wait is that an XR600 oil burning "R"? or an XR650"R"? It took me some time but............I smell a fast one there. ?:D:D Because noone would have a XR650R an only claim to have a XR650L :D That was funny :D

Wait is that an XR600 oil burning "R"? or an XR650"R"? It took me some time but............I smell a fast one there. :D?:worthy: Because noone would have a XR650R an only claim to have a XR650L :D That was funny :D

LOL, I have only a XRL - the oil burning "R" I was referring to is my CR250"R" and that one really burns oil on intention :D

How could you miss it, its in my signature and garage... I only said "R" not XR :D thats why I'm happy with my XRL and for the other stuff I take my CR. Maybe I trade it for a CRF some time but not this year...

...but I'm staying red ? the only other thing I would consider would be a KTM