2006.....injection

I am enrolled in a motorcycle maintainance program at a tech. college, in Washington state. Everyone seems to be convinced that the 2006 Yamahas will be injected. I am real interested in an 05-WR450 (maybe a CRF-450x), but I would wait untill 2006 if they will be injected. Does anyone know anything reliable about fuel injection. Thanks

I have a 05 RMK 900 Polaris that had EFI on it and love it. Starts first pull even if you hung it upside down for a week. The only problem is Hop up. Anytime you put anything on it you have a mess so like when I bought a pipe the pipe company had to reflash my computer but there is a way around that the guy the started dynojet and sold it in by home town has came up with a little black box that has 3 screws on it. It makes the EFI thing realy simple for carb guys the first screw is your piolets second is neadles the 3rd is your main jet just adjust till you get what you want and what I like the most about EFI is the fuel milage is way better or it is on my sled compared to the carb'd 800's and 900 cats

My experience with electronics is they work great when they work but fail when your are in tough conditions, like the bottom of a ravine in the middle of winter 1 hour before sunset. I believe the Keihin flat slide FCR carb is as close as you can get to having fuel injection without having the electronics, it's a marvel of simple technology. It is also very adjustable with a little knowledge and a few dollars for jets. This forum has a lot of info from those who have made the mods.

2005 WR450 (my third WR), I'm glad to have a steel frame, I've seen many cracked aluminum frames.

I seriously doubt that Yamaha would combine two major model changes into the same year, i.e. aluminum frames AND EFI. The introduction of aluminum frames on the YZFs is enough to practically guarantee they go flying out the dealer's showrooms. If, and I mean IF, Yamaha is close to having a reliable EFI system for their 4-strokes, it would likely not see production until the '07 or '08 model year. The complexity and extra weight of an EFI system would negate any gains made from switching to aluminum frames. It would make more sense for Yamaha to have their new frame established in the marketplace before introducing something as radical as EFI on a MX bike. You would also likely see such an innovation being tested on a factory-sponsored race bike well before it showed up on a production model. Cannondale sank their otherwise excellent ATV and MX offerings because they refused to give up on EFI. Subsequently, they introduced otherwise excellent off-road vehicles with too many fuel supply problems to grab market share. They tried to push their EFI technology before they had the bugs worked out of it and eventually went bankrupt. Yamaha isn't about to do the same thing, especially when their sales of dirt bikes are doing so well.

I've had 2 Gas Gas's with EFI and I love them. I'm not going back to bikes without EFI or Hydraulic clutches.

So when was the last time a GG had a podium finish in a major SX, MX or off-road race. In fact, when was the FIRST time? :D As it relates to dirt bikes, the old maxim still applies: First on Sunday, sold on Monday. ?

So when was the last time a GG had a podium finish in a major SX, MX or off-road race

I believe that would be NEVER. But I was speaking about EFI not Gas Gas specifically. I believe EFI to be superior and I think it is the future now matter what brand bias you have.

I believe EFI to be superior and I think it is the future now matter what brand bias you have.

That's my point, it IS the future, not the present. And despite my owning a Yamaha, I am not brand biased. If it were up to me, I'd have one of each. ?

I've had 2 Gas Gas's with EFI and I love them. I'm not going back to bikes without EFI or Hydraulic clutches.

Those Gas Gas 450's are S W E E T! If I wasn't such a wuss (something against buying exotics scoots) I would probably own one of those. ?