YZ125 to YZ400F? Should I go 4 stroke?

I'm moving up to the 250 class, after riding my dad's YZ250. My YZ125 is much too small (6', 250 lbs). I'm looking at a '99 YZ400 for about $2,700 (California prices are high). Should I go 4 stroke, or stick with 2 strokes and get a YZ250 or equivalent? I'm not really sure what to do now. I don't really have much mechanical knowledge, so I want something reliable, but fast and fun. What's the better choice, 2 or 4? What are general impressions of the YZ400F?

Well... I'm going to venture to guess that 99% of the people here are going to vote 4-stroke. The YZF line is very reliable if you can get one that was well maintained. Just chain the oil often. 01' was the first year that all the little quirks were worked out so I would recommend 01' or later, but the earlier years are still good bikes.

Get a 02' 426. Still has 5sp. Green sticker. All the quirks have been worked out. I had a 99 yz400f. It was a great bike. I can't tell you how many bikes I have towed back from a ride with that thing. I had to be towed one time but it was my fault. You'll love the world of 4-strokes.

well i am a 99' 400f owner. my 1st 4stroke. i have to say that i love the 4strokes ( hense the name 4stroke4life) i will never return to the retro world of 2smokes. i am kind of a heavy dude, 5'8" 240lbs. and the torque from this bike rips my fat ass around like no 2 stroke. it will take some getting used to. but once you do oooooooooowwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! they are bad to the bone. especially if you ride any dunes. i take mine to glamis, and she pull me up any hill i point her to. and reliable too. i have not worked on my bike in 3 months

I'm moving up to the 250 class, after riding my dad's YZ250. My YZ125 is much too small (6', 250 lbs). I'm looking at a '99 YZ400 for about $2,700 (California prices are high). Should I go 4 stroke, or stick with 2 strokes and get a YZ250 or equivalent? I'm not really sure what to do now. I don't really have much mechanical knowledge, so I want something reliable, but fast and fun. What's the better choice, 2 or 4? What are general impressions of the YZ400F?

yep the 99 400 is a good bike but I would buy a 450 to race in 250 class :D

Buy out of any state other than CA for a better price ?

California prices are high
That's because knuckleheads like you and I keep paying them. OTOH, I guess that means we can expect the same inflated market for our stuff when we sell it. Maybe.

How much of your asking price did you get for your last bike when you sold it? How long did that take? To paraphrase Smokey the Bear, "Only you can depress the used bike market."

Besides, you should be able to get an '01/'02 426, with all the aforementioned advantages, for under $3000 easy, even in CA, and the '03 450's are starting to sell in the $3500 area, with add-ons. Buying out of state can be a lot cheaper, and $2-300 will ship one from almost anywhere. Doing anything that remotely has obvious drawbacks, of course. You don't get to actually see the bike, for one.

I'd go four stroke in a heartbeat, but they aren't right for everyone. Two-strokes are simpler to maintain in some ways, and usually less expensive to rebuild. It just depends....