Getting bike ready for first Enduro - any advice?

Bought a 2005 WR450F five weeks ago. I'M LOVING IT!

To the point of I think I'm losing my mind because I'm going to try and race an Enduro on it next weekend in Nacadoches Texas :D My objective is to SURVIVE the event - barring that, my goal is to not hour out in the first hour ?

Does anyone have some suggestions I may not have thought of in getting ready for the event? There is a good possibility of rain during the event (uh oh)...

The bike is stock jetting/exhaust/etc wise.

I added a utah skid plate and GYTR frame protectors.

I added Acerbis lever/hand guards.

I got a MSR roll chart holder and installed it.

I disconnected the headlight to save battery juice for starting <grin> (lights not required for event).

I put a new rear tire on and adjusted the chain.

I changed the oil and oil filter.

I cleaned the air filter.

I have gone over the bike checking for loose bolts / cleaning /etc.

I have not gotten a digital clock of any sort yet...

For this event I'll use the stock odometer - it has 146 miles on it - I guess I'll roll it back to 100 to have an easy number to start at.

Any tips / suggestions for surviving or making the bike more "Enduro friendly" would be greatly appreciated! The short course is 51 miles and I did a 50 mile "enduro warm up" ride last weekend to see what it was like (last couple of miles was tough!).

I do not have a tail pack on the bike, but I do have a camel back with storage space for anything I should carry?

tia,

Edward

I am certainly not one to give expert advice on Enduros but since I went to school in NACOGDOCHES, I know it isn't spelled like it sounds ? 30 years ago I did ride a couple of 100 mile enduros south of Nac called the Big Sam Enduro in the Sam Rayburn spillway. The thing I remember is that it was all about maintaining a certain timing, not a race, so some sort of clock was critical. Yours may be different. Having bought a 2005 WR450 a month ago, I would highly recommend the jetting/AIS/grey wire/air box/exhaust mods. They do make a difference. You've done a couple of critical ones for that terrain, skid plate and handguards so you should be in good shape, even stock. I was wondering why you put on a new tire. Probably because you get to ride a lot more than I do here in Michigan. Good luck, and if you see a party you should stop, they have some great ones in the oldest town in Texas, Nacogdoches.

Bought a 2005 WR450F five weeks ago. I'M LOVING IT!

Does anyone have some suggestions I may not have thought of in getting ready for the event? There is a good possibility of rain during the event (uh oh)...

I have not gotten a digital clock of any sort yet...

For this event I'll use the stock odometer - it has 146 miles on it - I guess I'll roll it back to 100 to have an easy number to start at.

Any tips / suggestions for surviving or making the bike more "Enduro friendly" would be greatly appreciated! The short course is 51 miles and I did a 50 mile "enduro warm up" ride last weekend to see what it was like (last couple of miles was tough!).

tia,

Edward

I have run a couple of Tx enduro's well run and good fun unless it is raining. Get a watch that is waterproof. First enduro, both my clocks had failed by the first check due to too much water in them. I have found a watch at walmart that seems to work well and is only $6.

Also roll your odo back to 0, so the milage is right. Figure that all the 24 mph sections are special tests and watch the 18 mph sections since they like to catch people early.

John

Make sure you have your front and rear suspension dialed in!! My bike was wayy to stiff and hard on stutter bumps and small square edge bumps. I fixed that and now its pretty plush for my riding style. Riding a 50 mile loop with bad settings will destroy your body endurance and make you think you just rode the whole Dakaar Rally in one day.