HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geek

05 WR450 Two Questions: oil change and jetting

9 posts in this topic

2005 WR450F

1) Is there a trick to getting the oil screen out during an oil change? I put a pretty long wrench on it and I couldn't budge it (the blue painted 19mm in between the front frame tubs that the oil hose connects to). Before I go stripping it with too much force - I wanna make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Yes, I'm doing "Lefty Loosey" (pulling the wrench towards the "Brake lever" side of the bike).

2) As its getting warmer here in Dallas, my bike is getting lean.. popping/backfire when off the throttle. I've not de-restricted it in any way.. its fully stock. Is there a way I can richen it up WITHOUT pulling the carbs to do the jetting? If I do want to adjust the jetting - which way should I move the clip to get richer?

tia,

Edward

p.s. forgive me for any stupidity - been riding & wrenching street bikes for 20+ years but I'm new to high-maintenance dirt. :)

You're on the right track. Check the diagram in the owners manual to make sure what part the screen is attached to, and where the 'nut' actually threads into. I forget how it goes together. I have only taken mine off 1 time to clean the screen. Its too much hassle, and the parts are fragile. I only take the screen out 1/year to check if anything big is stuck in there.

You will have to change the needle if you want to adjust-The '05 is not adjustable. I would highlt recommend the $65 for the JD Jetting kit and it will give you numerous options for altitude and temp settings :)

The nut that holds the screen on is a BIATCH! It felt like it was welded on...but eventually comes off.

Although I wrestled with mine to do the "complete" oil change.. I would suggest that it is a waste of time and effort. A total of about 10 drops comes out of there, and the screen was as clean as new. I would not recommend fighting with it until you bike is a good year old... then maybe there is something to clean off of there that is worth the effort and bloody knuckles.

And I agree with the above...the JD Jetting kit is the way to go. Runs 10x better then stock.

My 2cents.

2005 WR450F2) As its getting warmer here in Dallas, my bike is getting lean.. popping/backfire when off the throttle. I've not de-restricted it in any way.. its fully stock. Is there a way I can richen it up WITHOUT pulling the carbs to do the jetting? If I do want to adjust the jetting - which way should I move the clip to get richer?

Actually, it's getting richer. As air warms it gets thinner, therefore reducing the amount of air available.Cold air is thicker, thus leaning out your mixture......Lean her out.......and buy an 04 needle, it's adjustable. And lots cheaper than buying the JD kit, for less than $30US, I have my 03 jetted perfectly!

I just checked mine yesterday and it was tough to get off. I used a long open end on it and it broke free. Like everyone said, not much on it but I've only got 100 miles on it. It was one of the longer oil changes I've done with all the bolts to take off. That 8mm drain you can't get a socket on is odd.

Actually, you can easily adjust the needle to make it a little fatter. You can raise the needle by inserting a .020" washer under the clip of the needle. In order to drop it though, an 05 YZ needle is the ticket I'm told. I'm certain the 04 WR needle is fine too. Jetting is part science and part Voodoo anyway. The only way I've found to be accurate is to use an exhaust gas analyzer and take voluminous notes. Check Indy's blurb under the jetting sticky. All the info you need and then some.

Why not just change the main jet and leave the needle as it is?

I went up on the main on mine it was deffo running lean, and it is perfect, without touching the needle position at all.

Worth a go, just whip the float bowl off and pop in a different main.

Needle jet has more effect on typical riding. Main jet only affects 3/4 to wide open. But I bet your popping is mostly related to the stupid AIS system. Get the kit that is sold in the TT store and lose that air pump. Then you can work on your jetting. Pony up and get the JD kit its worth the money. Also get a ZipTy racing mixture screw to adjust your idle mixture. Most popping is related to idle mixture since your off throttle when it happens. You will never completely eliminate the popping with that AIS though.

Joe