Thumper Racing's XR650L 675CC Big Bore Kit Questions.

Hi, I was just on thumper racing's website and found this kit, Thumper racing 675cc BBK. Does anyone else have this kit on their 650L's? If so how do ya like it? Has anyone ever bought anything from these guys, just curious how it all works interms of sending your cylinder away and all to be machined. Oh, this kit would be for my 2004 xr650l. Thanks for any help!

Zack

I was thinking about that too, how much of a difference it will make vs stock... I tried to e-mail them but it doesnt seem to want to go through, I think I'll give them a call later today and see what they say about it.

Thanks,

Zack

I just did the 660 kit for the 600. I LOVE it. It rocks. I send the cylinder to them, and within about two weeks everything returned ready to install. The rings were even gapped. Tons of low end torque!!! Do it....

Just an update, I called Thumper Racing about the 675cc BBK and for everything it would be $320! This includes:

-$165 for piston, rings (which they set the gaps on), wrist pin and locks,

-$16 for stronger clutch springs

-$40 for gasket kit

-$35 for valve cover gasket

-$15 for clutch cover gasket

-$49 to bore & hone my cylinder to the new piston.

The guy I talked to said the HotCams Stage 1 cam works great with this kit and seeing that I already have a Uni air filter, he took the K&N out. They also ususally give you a new DynoJet jet kit but I already have that, they will send me new jets to better match the kit and my elivation They no longer do the flywheel service anymore which doesnt bother me but they need to update their website. I'm gonna place the order Monday and send them my cylinder so they can get to work on it, I guess it should take about 8 or 10 days for it to be finished up. Just wanted to let everone know.

Just an update, I called Thumper Racing about the 675cc BBK and for everything it would be $320! This includes:

-$165 for piston, rings (which they set the gaps on), wrist pin and locks,

-$16 for stronger clutch springs

-$40 for gasket kit

-$35 for valve cover gasket

-$15 for clutch cover gasket

-$49 to bore & hone my cylinder to the new piston.

The guy I talked to said the HotCams Stage 1 cam works great with this kit and seeing that I already have a Uni air filter, he took the K&N out. They also ususally give you a new DynoJet jet kit but I already have that, they will send me new jets to better match the kit and my elivation They no longer do the flywheel service anymore which doesnt bother me but they need to update their website. I'm gonna place the order Monday and send them my cylinder so they can get to work on it, I guess it should take about 8 or 10 days for it to be finished up. Just wanted to let everone know.

Please post an update when you're done I might be next. ?

Just took the engine out tonight. Took about an hour to get everything out of the way and to get it out of the frame. It was a little heaver than I thought but wasn't too bad at all. Looking in through the intake and exhaust ports, I couldn't believe how good they looked. I figured them to be constrictive and what not but I was pleasantly surprised! Here's a few pic's of it just sitting there, I'm gonna start tear down tomorrow and place my order for the kit too. Hopefully I'll get the cylinder sent out!

Zack

466060_144_full.jpg

466060_145_full.jpg

466060_148_full.jpg

466060_149_full.jpg

466060_150_full.jpg

466060_151_full.jpg

466060_146_full.jpg The left overs...

Just talked with Gary from thumper racing and he got my cylinder and we went over everything again and totaled to $308 with shipping back to me. This is with the piston kit, gasket kit(minus valvecover gasket), dynojet spec sheet, bore & hone w/ gapped rings, heavy duty clutch springs, clutch cover gasket, new oil filter and spark plug. He says they use the 10.5:1 piston and what gives you the 10:1 final CR is that the 650L cyl head's have larger combustion chambers so 93 octane will work fine with everything. I cant wait to get this thing all back together!! Anyone know how much hp & tq I would be running to the crank after this and what jets does everyone think will work best with this kit? Im right at sea level in upstate new york by the way. Thanks for all the help!!

Zack

• 2 months later...

A piece of the choke plate broke off on my XR600 a couple years ago and it ruined the engine. I removed the engine and sent it to TR. Since they had to do a complete overhaul, I asked them what it would cost for the 660 kit (including the cam) , it was only like a hundred and 50 dollars more, so I had them modify it. The kit gave the bike more power throughout the bottom & mid range. What really made a big difference after the mod was when I installed the FMF silencer. It brought the bike alive. TR has good tech support. Be careful of your valve clearance after you modify the engine. I noticed with the new cam installed, the valve clearance needs to be spot on or the bike will have the cough and stall syndrome. The engine will tend to stall at idle when the engine is hot. Also, as you probably know, you may have to play with jetting, needle position and air screw position on the carb to get the engine to run smooth after the mod installation. Just my opinion. Good luck! :D