Rear tyre

The problem: love the maxxis IT on the rear, but down here in Oz it is only avaliable in a 120 in the 18". I much prefer the feel of of a 110 rear. This is the sort of stuff I ride in, from mud bog to rock hillclimbs in 2 gearchanges.

Any recomendations of other brands that are good all round tyres avaliable in 110/18's?

thanks

Hillclimb.jpg

That's not a hill!!! Come to Nowra and I'll show you good one.

(may the photo is deceiving)

You must be need 3D glasses to see what we all see! :D

That looks like a good nasty hill climb with loose soil and with a mud run up. ?

I am not a fan of the stock tire width. I have no recommendation for a good 110-18 tire. ?

that particular hill wasnt too bad. It was what was before it that got me into trouble. It was my first time out at this forest, and I found myself going down a hill that was way too steep and rocky for my ability, but was way too late to turn around. Tried to go back the way I came *crash tumble down the hill* That just trashed my RH devol rad gauard and slightly bend the radiator. The devols (aka the sacrificial lambs) are worth their weight in gold. So I had to press on, and found myself stuck as the below pic shows. This pic is decieving, it's steeper than it looks. My bald maxxis IT want helping the situation ? Anyway, I just recently gave up smoking so I'm a far cry from being fit. To cut a long story short, an hour later I got out of this rut by standing either side of the rut inching the bike forwards inch at a time by pressing my gut on the bars. I was that exhausted that I vomited for a bit, but then recovered to find my way out via the 1st pic I posted. The moral(s) of the story is:

1) don't ride my yourself

2) don't go down a hill you can't get up again.

3) this place rocks and when my spring get here from japland I'll be back again :D

Was never really in danger, 500m away from a popular lookout with GPS and mobile phone in hand.

stuck.jpg

You might want to try the IRC M5B. It comes in 110/80x18. Huge knobbies that give tons of traction. About the same price as the Maxxis. I only get about 4 hours before the knobbies start rounding, but the knobbies are tall enough you can cut them and get another couple rides on them.

I generally use the Maxxis IT, but if I know I'm going to be racing in mud/sand/loose dirt, I use the M5B.

You'd better grip your bike with your legs if you ever come across something as hard as intermediate terrain or harder with a M5B. The tail of my old KDX was going everywhere with this tire on accelerations... very unstable in turns too as soon as the soil is packed a little. I don't think it's a good "all around" tire. Great for mud and loose stuff though (as said previously).

I never had the chance to try the Milville but a couple of friends and I tried the Trackmaster II this year (also from Kenda) and we were all surprised by the results (specially considering it's about half the price of a dunlop or a michelin). It's good everywhere... lots lots lots of traction on hard and intermediate stuff and about as good or better than any tire in the loose. Man I like it better than the D756 I had before (ok ok ok... I'm not a big fan of 756s...)

They are available in the size you are looking for.

You might want to try the IRC M5B. It comes in 110/80x18. Huge knobbies that give tons of traction. About the same price as the Maxxis. I only get about 4 hours before the knobbies start rounding, but the knobbies are tall enough you can cut them and get another couple rides on them.

I generally use the Maxxis IT, but if I know I'm going to be racing in mud/sand/loose dirt, I use the M5B.

4 hours !!! :D?

I had my IT on there for almost 4 months hehe which was about 25 hours riding time

If you are SERIOUS about traction, then here is your weapon of choice!

The TERA-FLEX style 2! There is nothing left to say! You mount this tire, and you will have to learn how to ride your bike all over again!

It will fit your WR450, but, your rear wheel axle needs to be at least half way down the adjuster slider. Any less and it will rub the mud flap and side's of the swing arm.

http://www.intercotire.com/html/tera-flex.htm

GARY