Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alexrobinson

WR450F Excellent rear fender tool pack

13 posts in this topic

Just thought I would share a tip with the Thumpertalk members. I was looking for a good rear fender tool bag, something that didn't stick up too much and had tool holders to stop everything rattling around. I don't like wearing a Bum Bag or Fanny pack as you call it in the US since I broke my back 4 years ago, nothing to do with a Bum Bag, but I am worried that I may fall on it.

I bought the MSR Lightning Bum Bag, and cut the straps off. I then bolted it lengthways to the rear mudguard of my WR45O. It does touch the back of the rear light, but I have put some thick clear plastic to stop it rubbing. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera to show you picks of how it is on my bike, but I can assure you that I have used mine for 1 year now and it is excellent, it only sticks up a few inches, it already has a stiff back plate installed and has all the tool holders in to stop everything rattling around.

I think MSR should market this for use as a Bum Bag & cut the straps of for use on the Rear Fender because it is so good!!

I am a big fan of the MSR products, I use their kidney belt, gloves, cold pro gloves, front fender bag, bum bag (on the rear fender), and recently the ISDE Gelanots Pants and have found all of their stuff excellent quality. (Although the ISDE pants are too short to go over the top of your boots even in bigger sizes and the waistline should be higher, to help keep shirts tucked in)

I have tried to attach some pictures from the MSR website of the Lightning Pack Bum Bag but I haven't figured out yet how to attach pictures on Thumpertalk.This must be the new colours for the Lightning Pack, mine is the same pack but different colours so I assume the dimensions will still be the same as their old ones.

Maybe a member who has figured out how to attach images can get the images from msrmx.com and post them so that members can see what a great pack this is for the rear fender.

Cheers, Alex Robinson UK England

Cheers for posting the picture of the litening pak, if members want to use a rear fender bag, consider this option of cutting up the MSR Litening Pak. Apologies for spelling it wrong on my original post (lightening pack) as you can see by the pictures it is litening pak

Cheers, Alex Robinson UK

Its a Yamaha! You shouldn't need to cary tools with you!!!

Unless you're riding with 'Zukies Kawi's, they might need you to bring tools for them.

Ok, no more bad mouthing. That is a good look'n tool pack. I actually need something to organize mine when I ride.

Another option to consider is the bags made by dirt-bike-gear.com. I recently bought one and installed in on my '04, and I am very pleased with it. The fit is very good, and the quality is top notch. I got the ballistic nylon version, and it is very heavy-duty. Since it is a bag and not a tool-wrap like the MSR one you're talking about, you can stow all kinds of stuff in it. It has two straps on the outside so you can cinch everything down tight so nothing rattles around inside. I found out about it myself on none-other than TT. :)

I do the poor mans tool wrap, I cut a towel down the middle to make two narrower towels (please don't tell my wife). Then I roll my tools up in the towels. They don't rattle and I have something to wipe my hands with when I'm finished fixing stuff. It all goes in my MSR tail bag.

Alex, funny about the fanny pack/bum bag thing, isn't a fanny an, um, different anatomical area over there? In the spring the garden shops around here have signs outside that read "Sod Available Here" :) . It's what we call turf here. Or is that peat logs? OK, grass. OK, I'll stop. :D

I used a blue Moose tail bag. It has a nice reinforced platic bottom and a nice cinch strap and I use a Moose Tool Wrap to hold all my tools. It doesnt allow them to bounce around.

I use the Moose Fender bag which is made by Chase Harper and comes in blue.

I use theMoose Tool Wrap inside the Fender bag, and I use a Moose XCR Enduro Pack if I need to carry more

See it installed by checking out "my garage" and click on the "WR", there is a photo of it. Finished product looks like it was made for the WR.

Looks like the Moose Fender Bag is quite tall, thats why I was so pleased with the conversion of the MSR Litening Pak, because it hardly sticks up at all and has all of the elasticated pockets to keep everything organised without the need for an extra tool wrap.

Alex, funny about the fanny pack/bum bag thing, isn't a fanny an, um, different anatomical area over there? In the spring the garden shops around here have signs outside that read "Sod Available Here" :D . It's what we call turf here. Or is that peat logs? OK, grass. OK, I'll stop. :)

Yeah, over there fanny pack means "Vagina pack." :)

I dated an Aussie gal, and she almost pissed herself laughing when I suggested a "fanny pack" for her to run with. She also liked to laugh at the expression, "I root for the Packers." (my state's football team)

Sorry about the post HiJack. :D

Looks like the Moose Fender Bag is quite tall, thats why I was so pleased with the conversion of the MSR Litening Pak, because it hardly sticks up at all and has all of the elasticated pockets to keep everything organised without the need for an extra tool wrap.

Alex, its collapsable. I just have it real full. :)