Some dumb questions

1) The WR426 and 450 have the dipstick up in the frame in front of the gastank. How does the frame keep the same level as the engine to give an accurate reading and why did they pump the oil there in the first place?

2) The guy I bought my WR426 from put a temp gage where the dipstick goes. What temp should it rum at and not overheat?

3) Does anyone know if it's OK to run a synthetic oil in a 02 WR426?

Thanks for the help oh guros of thumper land ?

1) The WR426 and 450 have the dipstick up in the frame in front of the gastank. How does the frame keep the same level as the engine to give an accurate reading and why did they pump the oil there in the first place?

Technically, the only time the engine is full of oil is when the engine has been setting for a while not running. As soon as its started, its all pumped out. A dry sump system is degigned to keep oil out of the crankcase area, and gearbox in the case of a motorcycle. The oil splashing onto the components rob crank speed and horsepower. More so at higher rpms. So oil is plubed to all the vital areas of the engine via an engine oil pump, then a scavenging pump removes it as it settles in the bottom and pumps it out of the way. That is why you check it after it has ran for a minute or so.

) 2) The guy I bought my WR426 from put a temp gage where the dipstick goes. What temp should it rum at and not overheat?

No idea on oil temps. Just get an idea where it runs during normal riding and in what conditions, then when it varies too much from what your used to, shut it down and have a look.

• 4 weeks later...

WR's have known heat issues, that's why people put things like temp gauges in oil dipstick holes. Do a search of this forum for keyword "overheating" and see for yourself. I use synthetic oil in all my bikes, even the ones that don't run hot.