Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johunter666

Fuel Filter?

7 posts in this topic

Why no fuel filter on today's new (expensive) off road machines? Does anyone run one? It seems like the ideal conditions to have one--or am I missing something? :)

Why no fuel filter on today's new (expensive) off road machines? Does anyone run one? It seems like the ideal conditions to have one--or am I missing something? :)

I run an inline filter on every motorcycle I own. Cheap insurance. :D

Remember you have a fine filter in the fuel tank , so its not totally unfiltered.

I too run an inline filter.

I too run an inline filter.

That's twice in one week you've agreed with me. I think I'm starting to like you. :)

What type/brand of filter are you guys running? It's on my to-do list, but I wasn't sure what type to get...SC

Ditto :)

I used the bronze filters for years on my cars, but the parts guy at a local shop said that they have been having problems with the filters "shedding" small particles and screwing up the carbs.

The only mesh filters available are these big round things that don't have much filtering area, and automotive style mesh or paper filters are too big.

Well, I had an incident with a brand new 4WD quad while out in the snow bow hunting. It started running awful. I was lucky to have brought enough tools, ended up stripping off the plastic (big chore on this, middle of winter on a picnic table in a campground), digging to the carb to find a small piece of debris in the carb. I use brake cleaner with plastic straws on the nozzle to clear it. It appeared to be a bit of plastic from the tank. Crankcase filled with gas, along with the air box as it also allowed it to flood. Suspect more under the neddle/seat. Almost turned a good hunting trip into a nightmare. Since, I now have an inline fuel filter on every motorcycle/quad I own. Use the see through plastic ones with the bronze inside. I picked them up from Dennis Kirk while I was ordering other items. Good cheap insurance.