HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yamahauler44

rear suspension trouble??

7 posts in this topic

ok, here is the deal... i have a 1999 yz400f and love it. i trail ride exclusively, so my suspension is very soft. i notice when the bike sits for a while the rear suspension behaves weird, its fine for the first part of the travel, but the is very stiff. after a ride for a while it loosens back up i dont know if anyone has had this problem before, but let me know what you think.

Two things....

1. When was the last time you cleaned and lubed the complete suspeny bearings?

2. While you got the suspension torn down, check to make sure the shock shaft is not bent.

While you are at it take it to the chop and have them tear apart the shock and have the fluid changed and recharged.....I am guessing this has not been done since it was new? :)

yeah, i never really have lubed the suspension, religious about engine oil, filters, ect. but never really thought about the suspension. is it difficult?

Get your manual out, take your time and follow the direction.... Clean everything and lube with a good quality marine grease..... :)

Take the shock to the shop and have the oil changed.