What happened??

What has happened to this group?

Last year the talk was how to get more horsepower out of my XR650R.

or

How can I make my suspension better so I can ride faster or jump higher.

or

Mike Kay Racing the Dakar on his XR650R.

or

The XR650R winning the Baja 1000 (7 times) and winning the Baja Ironman.

or

What tire was better and why.

or

hwo to ride a wheelie at 70mph

or

How to go through the huge whoops at 70mph

or

Honda cheating in the Baja.

But, now it's post like this:

Why the XR600R is better

or

I sure wish i had my xr 600 but i thought the xr 650R would be a nice up grade what a mistake i made .What was Honda thinking when they built the xr 650R it rides like a ten speed in the sand all over the place the seat and handle bars need help and after paying over six thousand for it and have to re-jet change the intake pull the plugs out of the air box change the exhaust tip. My old xr 600 out of the box ran and rode fine without spending tons of money. So you guys that have xr 600s the xr 650r is not any better by far.

or

Well, I've owned the following bikes in recent years-

-2000 XR400R (which I loved but eventually got sick of)

-1999 WR400F (lasted two weeks then decided to blow the gearbox)

-2001 XR650R (too much power and top-heavy feel, little ground clearance)

.....and I'm back riding a '95 XR600- albeit with upgraded suspenion, if Honda were to release a new XR400/450/500/600 model from scratch that is light, simple (not even water cooling) and easy to work and reliable, I would be back on the Honda bandwagon, for now I'm happy riding the XR6.

or

Simply:

5-year extended care warranty. (I've used it, at least used to before it ran out)

No Radiator... Install a POS supertrap with 8 disks, and a 15-tooth front sprocket.

Now you have identical gearing to an XR650L from second gear onward, meaning that its true top speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 115mph, 7500RPM. It will do it all day long, as long as you have fuel. It has a 190 watt stator - stock. Its engine is not made of balsawood, and tollerates abuse that that a katoom, 650R, YZ/WR450 CRF/X450 would take a trip to the hospital after. The seat IS COMFORTABLE!

And with all of that, you'll have enough money left over for some REAL good suspension, and possibly an A-Loop kit.. Still about $2000 left over..

Now you have a bike with more modern ergonomics, EASY to start, 115mph top speed (with a still-usable 1st gear) bulletproof engine, simple carburetor..

I think the REAL question becomes: How could you knowingly buy an overpriced bike that you know you will have to pull the motor on, is as uncomfortable as sitting on a monkey bar all day, demands a finicky oil change every 100 miles or less, goes through clutch plates as quickly as brake pads, can't run without water, has NO factory warranty, is no significant imporvement over a 1993 XR600R?

I love the one about the XR650R having to much power so he had to sell it!!! ?

No wonder Mike KAY left, what happened did all the office guy's go out and buy up used XR600R's and XR650L's and show up on the Thumper talk 650/600 group? It's like all the office guy's that ran out and bought Harley's to look cool and act tough but, they are not the same as the guy's with patch. ?:D

Sure it's cool to have a XR600R or XR650L and cruise fire road and two track but, that doesn't make them better then the XR650R (Well maybe they are for that type of riding). The guy's on this group last year really looked down on guy's with XR600R's and XR650L's and it was hashed out and they let up now and the guy's with those bikes are bashing the XR650R like it's junk.

All I can think is there must be a bunch of fat office guy's with old bikes jealous of guy's with a newer bike that can ride them :D

FREE IRONDUDE!!!!

A great rider on a 650L could always outride a good rider on a 650R. The 650L riders would rather have comfort and reliability than a tiny bit of extra power. Besides, if the 650L riders are fat old office guys, they obviously have the money to buy any bike they want. Common sense usually comes with age, so maybe the 650R riders should learn from the smart 650L riders! ?

I know what you mean B....here is my faviorate from earlier today:

"Hey all, just joined. Have been riding my '83 XL600R since 1985. Has always been a great bike, and faster than newer 650s (lighter, better handling). Does anyone know where to get a front disk caliper rebuild kit, or perhaps a used caliper? My caliper hangs up when I use it, and I know it's missing its dust seals from previous attempts at fixing it."

Too funny.... :D??

Amen Dabeyta...

What bwb63 needs to remember is that it's the rider that makes the bike, not the other way around.

I happen to like this forum and I'm not a fat office guy either. I'm a firefighter ?:D

Not that there's anything wrong with fat office guys, we don't them in an uproar now do we? ?

A great rider on a 650L could always outride a good rider on a 650R.

Wow It takes a GREAT rider to outride just a Good rider on a 650R. That must mean the 650R is a better bike..... according to that statement...... with equally capable riders the 650R would win?... am I getting this correctly? so how could an 650L be a better bike. ?

do tell........

personally I love my 650R :D and wouldn't trade it for an L

Amen Dabeyta...

What bwb63 needs to remember is that it's the rider that makes the bike, not the other way around.

I happen to like this forum and I'm not a fat office guy either. I'm a firefighter ??

Not that there's anything wrong with fat office guys, we don't them in an uproar now do we? :D

I got it and the best riders will fight a XR650L to just make it through a ride out in the rough stuff never seeing the guy's on the newer bikes. Well maybe they will pass a KLX650 or DR650 but, a tank is a tank and the XR650L weighs right at 350 pounds ready to ride! :D Sure the rider can make a tank go faster then someone that doesn't ride as fast but, noone on a 2005 CRF50 bored to be a 88cc with the trickest suspension is going to see the dust from someone on a stock CRF450 out on the trail.

The rider can only do so much and you are dreaming if you think the XR650L is anything close to the same kind of bike as the XR650R. I think they might share the same handle bars :worthy:

Where is Irondude when you need him??? :D

Originally Posted by dabeyta3

A great rider on a 650L could always outride a good rider on a 650R. The 650L riders would rather have comfort and reliability than a tiny bit of extra power. Besides, if the 650L riders are fat old office guys, they obviously have the money to buy any bike they want. Common sense usually comes with age, so maybe the 650R riders should learn from the smart 650L riders!

Yap, this is what I am talking about! Tiny bit of extra power??? The XR650R puts out %30 more horsepower! Fifty pounds lighter!! A real suspension! (well for a 160 pound guy)

Office guy's make more money?? some jobs yes, some no.

My father inlaw is a mechanical engineer with a masters degree and I make twice what he does. It's the office part that I was talking about and the weird thinking of some of them that have been indoors way to long.

I am not the best rider but, there isn't a great XR650L rider that can get near my XR650R

I am old!

My riding might not be the best but, it's on the net to see and there isn't a XR650L that can do anything close to what a fair rider can do on a XR650R.

http://www.borynack.com/Bruce/bwbvideo.htm

All about the XR650R

http://xr650r.borynack.com

FREE IRONDUDE!!

Yap, this is what I am talking about! Tiny bit of extra power??? The XR650R puts out %30 more horsepower! Fifty pounds lighter!! A real suspension! (well for a 160 pound guy)

Office guy's make more money?? ? some jobs yes, some no.

My father inlaw is a mechanical engineer with a masters degree and I make twice what he does. It's the office part that I was talking about and the weird thinking of some of them that have been indoors way to long.

I am not the best rider but, there isn't a great XR650L rider that can get near my XR650R :D

I am old!

My riding might not be the best but, it's on the net to see and there isn't a XR650L that can do anything close to what a fair rider can do on a XR650R.

http://www.borynack.com/Bruce/bwbvideo.htm

All about the XR650R

http://xr650r.borynack.com

FREE IRONDUDE!!

Geez bwb63... ?

Get over yourself already...

The 'L' is a dual purpose vehicle, it was designed to do two things well. When you have a vehicle factory designed to do something like the 'L' compromises are made.

O.K., your 650r is faster... go get a cookie. By the way, how much money have you spent on your bike to get it the way it is now?

Geez bwb63... ?

Get over yourself already...

The 'L' is a dual purpose vehicle, it was designed to do two things well. When you have a vehicle factory designed to do something like the 'L' compromises are made.

O.K., your 650r is faster... go get a cookie. By the way, how much money have you spent on your bike to get it the way it is now?

Point is that it was a XR650L bashing last year and I was the one saying it's great that there out there riding sharing the sport, "there is room to hash out there bike" It was all coming about because there is a lot of people that think the XR650"L" and the XR650"R" are the same bike, one setup for street and one for the drit but, the same bike. Like the old XL600 and XR600 was but, they are not even close in any way. Yes, the XR650"L" is a street bike that can go off road but, the XR650R (duel sported) is a true dirt "race" bike that can be ridden on the street.

All of the jumping/riding on those video's are on a XR650R not my XR680R. Some of the old video's are on a bone stock (uncorked) XR650R.

I lost count on the money I dumped into this bike. Most of the parts were added after one of the many high speed get offs. ?

It isn't about me, or anyone it's about people not knowing what they are talking about between bikes thinking that the XR650R is something like there XR650"L" or XR600 or that the XR650"L" is a race bike.

Like the post up a few say's it all:

I know what you mean B....here is my faviorate from earlier today:

"Hey all, just joined. Have been riding my '83 XL600R since 1985. Has always been a great bike, and faster than newer 650s (lighter, better handling). Does anyone know where to get a front disk caliper rebuild kit, or perhaps a used caliper? My caliper hangs up when I use it, and I know it's missing its dust seals from previous attempts at fixing it."

Too funny.... :D:worthy::D

All the 650r guys are out roosting while the XL and 600 guys tote their so called "hot bikes" on line.

Im up for a dual sport ride anytime with you L guys. Ive got a 26 mile "after work" loop 5 minutes from my house in san dimas. Its both street(mtn hwy) and dirt trails from fire roads to 4 inch off the side of the mountain off camber ledges. Its tough on the 650 but its a blast and good seat time to prepare for racing my real bike (crf450) on the weekends. I would love to see an L take a run at it.

Dont spout your mouth unless its with a date and time you will be at my house ready to ride.

What has happened to this group?

Last year the talk was how to get more horsepower out of my XR650R.

or

How can I make my suspension better so I can ride faster or jump higher.

or

Mike Kay Racing the Dakar on his XR650R.

or

The XR650R winning the Baja 1000 (7 times) and winning the Baja Ironman.

or

What tire was better and why.

or

hwo to ride a wheelie at 70mph

or

How to go through the huge whoops at 70mph

or

Honda cheating in the Baja.

But, now it's post like this:

Why the XR600R is better

or

I sure wish i had my xr 600 but i thought the xr 650R would be a nice up grade what a mistake i made .What was Honda thinking when they built the xr 650R it rides like a ten speed in the sand all over the place the seat and handle bars need help and after paying over six thousand for it and have to re-jet change the intake pull the plugs out of the air box change the exhaust tip. My old xr 600 out of the box ran and rode fine without spending tons of money. So you guys that have xr 600s the xr 650r is not any better by far.

or

Well, I've owned the following bikes in recent years-

-2000 XR400R (which I loved but eventually got sick of)

-1999 WR400F (lasted two weeks then decided to blow the gearbox)

-2001 XR650R (too much power and top-heavy feel, little ground clearance)

.....and I'm back riding a '95 XR600- albeit with upgraded suspenion, if Honda were to release a new XR400/450/500/600 model from scratch that is light, simple (not even water cooling) and easy to work and reliable, I would be back on the Honda bandwagon, for now I'm happy riding the XR6.

or

Simply:

5-year extended care warranty. (I've used it, at least used to before it ran out)

No Radiator... Install a POS supertrap with 8 disks, and a 15-tooth front sprocket.

Now you have identical gearing to an XR650L from second gear onward, meaning that its true top speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 115mph, 7500RPM. It will do it all day long, as long as you have fuel. It has a 190 watt stator - stock. Its engine is not made of balsawood, and tollerates abuse that that a katoom, 650R, YZ/WR450 CRF/X450 would take a trip to the hospital after. The seat IS COMFORTABLE!

And with all of that, you'll have enough money left over for some REAL good suspension, and possibly an A-Loop kit.. Still about $2000 left over..

Now you have a bike with more modern ergonomics, EASY to start, 115mph top speed (with a still-usable 1st gear) bulletproof engine, simple carburetor..

I think the REAL question becomes: How could you knowingly buy an overpriced bike that you know you will have to pull the motor on, is as uncomfortable as sitting on a monkey bar all day, demands a finicky oil change every 100 miles or less, goes through clutch plates as quickly as brake pads, can't run without water, has NO factory warranty, is no significant imporvement over a 1993 XR600R?

I love the one about the XR650R having to much power so he had to sell it!!! :D

No wonder Mike KAY left, what happened did all the office guy's go out and buy up used XR600R's and XR650L's and show up on the Thumper talk 650/600 group? It's like all the office guy's that ran out and bought Harley's to look cool and act tough but, they are not the same as the guy's with patch. ?:D

Sure it's cool to have a XR600R or XR650L and cruise fire road and two track but, that doesn't make them better then the XR650R (Well maybe they are for that type of riding). The guy's on this group last year really looked down on guy's with XR600R's and XR650L's and it was hashed out and they let up now and the guy's with those bikes are bashing the XR650R like it's junk.

All I can think is there must be a bunch of fat office guy's with old bikes jealous of guy's with a newer bike that can ride them ?

FREE IRONDUDE!!!!

It's because the XR650R is not a better bike. Take a well modded 628R and it will be far more fun that the 650R, plus it's rock reliable.

Most of us waited so long for the 600r replacement, yet when the 650r came it was underwhelming. A 1990 model fork, funny looking plastic, alloy frame, chews gas like it's going out of fashion, fat between the legs and HEAVIER THAN THE BIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO REPLACE!!!

I know I was bitterley disappointed at Honda when they relared the 650R. The 628 rocks.

Why do you reckon scott summers "retired". the 650R was a pos in the bush. He knew it and he hardy raced it for that reason.

The 628R is FAR more versatile than the 650R will ever be.

How many GNCCs did the 650R win?

Anyway I love bibbore Hondas - see this

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/torbreck1/133_3301.jpg

You know, I find this thread funny.

I've been reading this site for quite some time now and this finally spurred me to reply.

Why is it that there must be so much animosity between people who own all the different bikes? Is it that the older people are jealous that those of us that own newer bikes have just that, something newer? Is that why they try so hard to prove points that have already been beat into the dust? IMO an XR is an XR, we are all brothers in red :D

here is something, why not take each bike as what it is? The 650R's are something new (when they came out). Liquid cooled big bore thumpers. Something new like that is always shunned at first. Just image, in 5 or 6 years when the next BRP comes out, we 650R owners will be acting the same way.

I find it funny that people are saying the 650 has less ground clearance, is less manuverable, is blah blah blah. Well guess what... my 650R rides like a 250 compaired to the 500 and has more clearance between the ground and the skid plate to boot. But this is going on more then 20 years of technological advances. Someone from the 600 crowd should find a 650R they can ride for a few weeks, set up properly for themselves, and see how much complaining they do after that. I'm sure you would be grinnin too hard to speak.

now, with that said: My XR 500 will far out perform the 650R on the bottom end simply because of all the work done to it. But hit 5th gear on the 650R and thats all she wrote, good luck keeping up. ?

Your only as old as one feels, I just turned 46 and the 650r keeps me young..

I have a XR600r and a XR650R and the 650R will run circles around the 600R .. :D

The 600R is great for its day but the 650R is great for today, The 650R is rock reliable, The 650R is no more a POS in the bush then your 628R..

I ride my 650R in tite woods all the time and it takes me where i want to go without any complaints.... :D

Not one bike is built for certain people, Ive had no problems upgrading my bike. ?

Its just about where i want it, I love every aspect of my 650R and would not trade it for anything out there....If i take a long ride I'll put on my baja tank

Let it drink gas, It'll still roost past your 628 with style :worthy:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/frankstr/Dscn0283.jpg ?

Geez. Why all the hostile comparisons? I ride a 650L. I love it. I ride it anywhere, no matter how tough the terrain. I think the 650R is cool, but I'm out of the kick-starting business. I'm happy there are lots of riders that like it!

Let's just enjoy what works for different people! (Typed from my office doing a software install...)

I'm not trying to hostile, Just giving my thoughts........... ?

Nuthin wrong with anyones choice of ride, I'm just saying how I feel and what I know about my ride......... ?

Its called Freedom of choice, But its all about having fun, Riding and helping others out if possible.....Like any sport,hobby, Enjoy and have fun.... :D

Well my 'L' will blow away the 'R' in an e-start contest! :D

(Unless you added the Baja Designs estart...).

Honestly, doing mods to your bike is part of the fun. For many riders, personalizing your bike is an important/fun step. I liked my 'L' stock, but it definitely needed some changes. Uncork, lighten, bash plate, hand guards, etc. That doesn't mean it was junk in stock condition. It just means I needed to suit it to my style of riding. ?

Seldon

I guess I am missing out, I am selling my 650R immediately and getting a XR500/600 after reading this. ?

Would you consider a 650L as trade?? :D? Even those are so much better than yours I would like to downgrade... hehehe

I don't understand BWB63 fuss about this. I don't think a "L" can compete with a "R". Those are not bikes of the same class, except the "XR" in the name. I would have bought a "R" but wanted something for the street as well without long dualsporting it. Beside I probably wouldn't use the additional power and other stuff the "R" offers to make it worth for me. The "L" was just perfect for me to get back into riding after almost 10 years break.

On the other hand I don't think that I need to compare my bike with newer technology and claim it still is better. I ride it just for fun and this competitive thinking/comparison is a BS.

ride red!

Det