Leg out on curves

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm a newbie at riding(and bought an xr650r to learn on ? ). Why do people kick their inside leg out when going thru curves? Is it to put more weight to the front?

If you're using it to stabilize the bike, especially the 650r, I hope you have good medical insurance covering the knee area.

If you look, most of the guys in the pics aren't touching the ground. Throwing your leg forward weights the front wheel for more bite.......

E

watch SuperMoto guys for a while and you will see two riding styles.

Guys that come from street will throw a shoulder, elbow, knee, and chin into the turn. They lean body first, then bike. (body positioning over counter stearing)

Guys that come from dirt will throw bars, hips, and inside leg into the turn. They lean bike first, then body. (counter stearing over body positioning)

Two different styles, niether is wrong or right. But each is usefull in certain situations.

But to your specific question about tossing the leg forward, you should give it a try. Pick a low speed turn (1st or 2nd gear with birm). Try first with inside foot on the peg, dip the handlebar in, then blast out. Then try comming in forward on the tank, inside foot up by the front axle, dip the bars, and blast out. Keeping the front weighted makes it feel planted, solid, and predictable.

nk