05 Fork Bushings Gone Bad

OK, the 05 WR 450 is only 5 months old with about 400 miles on it. After a trail ride at Gorman over the weekend, both fork seals are leaking like somebody turned on a faucet. My mechanic (non-Yamaha) just opened up the tubes last night and found that the coating on the internal bushing has already worn off and on the thicker bushing, it looks like it was scraped with a screwdriver with chunks of it still hanging on like peeled paint. Obviously these fragments blew out the fork seals.

Anyone else having this problem? This is wrong for a brand new bike. Will let everyone know what the local Yamaha dealer says later today.

They will just tell you that the warranty is expired and U need new fork seals and bushings. I would install a set of Gold Valves while you have them apart-They make a world of difference in the rebound :)

Hey DesertWR...Great Avatar :) The legend lives on.

You're right, no warranty, but the bushings were really inexpensive and the dealer actually had them in stock. I'm installing stiffer springs along with the repair job, but will wait on the Gold Valves. Thanks.

Hey DesertWR...Great Avatar :D The legend lives on.

He was the man and it just ain't the same without that Black 3 :)

You're right, no warranty, but the bushings were really inexpensive and the dealer actually had them in stock. I'm installing stiffer springs along with the repair job, but will wait on the Gold Valves. Thanks.

re U sure U need stiffer springs? I'm 6'1, 215 and the spring specs for me are the stock ones. Just checking :)

I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. and do occasional motocross. I'm going up only one size to .48kg.

I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. and do occasional motocross. I'm going up only one size to .48kg.

:)