06 Wr450f

So what is so great about aluminum?

Is it significantly lighter? Better weight to strength ratio I assume but, how much will this matter or make a difference in a WR?

I was all set to buy a WR (tomorrow actually!) ... should I wait? .... will an aluminum '06 accelerate the depreciation of a steel '05?

Hell ... I can't wait I'm gonna get an '05 but I may bargain harder!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

i wouldn't wait on next year being aluminum.

the 04 and 05 frames are good. a bit soft when smashed into a rock but they don't seem to crack. my 04 frame is very bashed up and dented and to-date, no cracks!

If I recall correctly there are 2 pluses to alum frames. 1st is weight, you would save about 10 pounds in theory. 2nd is it is more rigid than steel giving more precise handling. The suspension has to be sorted out and Honda fought with that when they offered alum years ago. Then there is always the "Kewl" factor and alum frames look really kewl.

Aluminum frames arent always lighter, in order to make the weaker metal (aluminum) as strong as steel, it has to be much thicker.. which adds to the wieght. KTM's supposedly have the lightest frame and its steel.

And some of us don't care for the rigidness of aluminum... especially in a offroad bike they just feel too stiff. IMO aluminum frames are all about looks for most people.

Well, one of the theories is too that since you have the twin spar frame you place the fuel cell between the upper frame rails like on the CRF and RMZ, thus lowering your center of gravity. The bike isn't really lighter, it just feels that way. The reason why so many have said the CRFX just "feels" lighter than the WR, eve though it's not. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of it though. We keep getting smaller fuel cells on the WR. It's an enduro bike for goodness sake! I'm sure there will be plent of diehards still looking for the steel framed bikes for a while. I certainly hope that Yamaha has worked all the "bugs" out before I get one.

My dealer tells me that they all the know right now for 06 is that all the YZF's will have the aluminum frame and 5 speeds. Nothing on the WR right now. Regardless how some of you "feel" about aluminum and its weaknesses, you can count on the WR being aluminum in the near future...

I have mixed emotions on aluminum frames. Honda's and Suzuki's fat frame look is not impressive.

I understand that Honda had lots of problems and Yamaha and Suzuki has been trying to develop such for 10+ years -- thus, it must be problematic.

Also, I was looking for a bigger/faster bike for my daughter and perused the YZ125 boards and heard laments of several aluminum frames cracking.

Elton

Alluminum is ALL about looks. I think Yamaha is just capitualating to the masses on this one. So many people believe that because the Honda looks better, it must be stronger, blah, blah. I wish Yamaha would have just developed a better steel frame.

There's really no reason for Alluminum. It will not handle crashes or impacts better than steel. Do not believe the hype. Alluminum cracks in situations where steel will dent or bend. Alluminum is not the key to light weight, just look at the KTM's. Allumium frames make the bike harder to work on because the frame is much chunkier.

Yes the frames are stiffer, but who needs that? I think Alluminum is more about benefitting the manufacturer than the consumer. Cheaper to manufacter, more sales.

I'd say, grab an 05 when the price drops because all the ingnorant masses see the Alluminum framed 06 in the magazines and HAVE to get one.

Alluminum is ALL about looks. I think Yamaha is just capitualating to the masses on this one. So many people believe that because the Honda looks better, it must be stronger, blah, blah. I wish Yamaha would have just developed a better steel frame.

There's really no reason for Alluminum. It will not handle crashes or impacts better than steel. Do not believe the hype. Alluminum cracks in situations where steel will dent or bend. Alluminum is not the key to light weight, just look at the KTM's. Allumium frames make the bike harder to work on because the frame is much chunkier.

Yes the frames are stiffer, but who needs that? I think Alluminum is more about benefitting the manufacturer than the consumer. Cheaper to manufacter, more sales.

I'd say, grab an 05 when the price drops because all the ingnorant masses see the Alluminum framed 06 in the magazines and HAVE to get one.

Ditto! Steel is better for off road riding. ?