Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wkloiber

Anybody using an iridium ngk spark plug?

23 posts in this topic

I was looking at NGK 's website trying to see if they made anything beyond the standard plug. I found that they make an iridium plug and I was wondering if anybody has some input on these iridium plugs. I've personally never used iridium when it comes to spark plugs so I'm interested to see if it's worth the extra few bucks they cost over the standard. Any input would be helpful.

NGK 's iridium CR8EIX does improve performance a bit and is more durable. It provides better combustion and, as also noted by others, the exhaust note is then more crisp. I was actually baffled at first, wondering why the hell my exhaust sounded so different, until I remembered about my switch to the IX!

It is the best spark plug available for our engine. I also use it in my car, snowmobile, etc...

:naughty:http://www.ngkspark.com.au/feature_product.html

I have my doubts about any significant performance gains, but I believe it makes it easier to start.

I think its worth a few xtra bucks, Longer and better life, A sharper spark... :naughty:

I too use one, much better starting on my old 99, but is that all to expect for 4 times the price of reguar CRE? I expect it to live longer and if not, still have one spare iridium left :naughty:

:):D:) it pays for itself in longevity,it runs and starts better for a much longer amount of time than the regular.

Still using the same plug, which I installed somewhat december 04.

Anyone noticed bike running hotter, as with stock?

Electrode seems quite white, has anyone checked theirs?

For comparison, I installed old non iridium, which I thorougly cleaned before, and checked it after ride, nice brown tan.

Fellow husky rider also had iridium installed and his bike overheated regularly (coloration on inner side engine cover stepped off), had starting problems, boiling easily..

His mech tried many things around carb, no improvement, finally went back to regular plug, all problems solved.

could be, that when iridium goes bad, still works fine, only hotter.

Any clues or expirience in this?

never noticed a heat problem with the irridium. been running the same one for two seasons.

Search the threads and you will see that this has been debated before. Basically, a toyoto mechanic felt that their would be no performance increase but the plug would last much longer. NC disagreed.

I have been using one for about a year. The plug has lasted a long time and maybe its just in my mind but I think my bike starts easier with the expensive plug.

Yes, much written, though very little about running lean compared to stock in same conditions.

Should electrode be colourless or light to dark bown as with regular plug.

If for better combustion reasons, iridium stays cleaner, thant I guess its ok its if not coloured brownish.

You must've bought faulty one, which can happen with regular plug too.

I got mine from the napa/riebes store 5 minutes down the road. The dealer uses charges more for regular plugs, so I figured they would be ridiculous about the iridium plug. Mine was around 8 bucks a plug.

Old thread but I thought I share my experience with this iridium plug.

Noticed right away it fired up much better.

Runs much smoother on idle, I could actually turn my idle down and it still runs very smooth.

Smells less according to riding buddies (and you know the others always behind these yammis:smirk: ) and I myself noticed less smoke when WOT.

Seems to be a good plug even if it was a bit pricey.

Old thread but I thought I share my experience with this iridium plug.

Noticed right away it fired up much better.

Runs much smoother on idle, I could actually turn my idle down and it still runs very smooth.

Smells less according to riding buddies (and you know the others always behind these yammis:smirk: ) and I myself noticed less smoke when WOT.

Seems to be a good plug even if it was a bit pricey.

Your 4-stroke smokes? Not good!

Your 4-stroke smokes? Not good!

It's a bit overjetted after winterriding.

Not black oilsmoke.

Still using the same plug, which I installed somewhat december 04.

Anyone noticed bike running hotter, as with stock?

Electrode seems quite white, has anyone checked theirs?

For comparison, I installed old non iridium, which I thorougly cleaned before, and checked it after ride, nice brown tan.

Fellow husky rider also had iridium installed and his bike overheated regularly (coloration on inner side engine cover stepped off), had starting problems, boiling easily..

His mech tried many things around carb, no improvement, finally went back to regular plug, all problems solved.

could be, that when iridium goes bad, still works fine, only hotter.

Any clues or expirience in this?

Im a month late with a solution, but maybe run a cooler plug (CR7EIX) for example. Should know right away if its not hot enough but that could be throwing away $10 or whatever they cost over there. I had to do that on my CR125R, but went hotter. Just throwing it out there for what its worth.