XR650R Supermoto Setup

I posted this in the supermoto section and thought someone here might have an opinion also.

linky

Thanks

Your doing something that is fairly atypical of normal 650R use, hence the lack of responses. The 2 important words are low and stiff. Looks like you've already begun that. You may also want to consider gearing changes. I can recommend Peter Kates @ computrackboston.com. I would recommend his advice for setup @ Loudon. (Loudon and VT. are my stomping ground too....I'm in MA). Pete will be @ the track every race weekend this year as he will be racing and doing suspension work trackside. He also owns a shop in Bellingham, MA., and another in NYC, mgd. by Mike Martire.

P.S. What did you do with your stock hubs? If they are not being used, I'd be interested. :naughty:

I'm actually looking to sell the wheels complete, including tires, rotors and sprocket.

As far as stiffness goes, would anyone hazard a guess at mm of sag and clicks in/out of damping?

I don't think I can get much lower without dragging the pegs before running out of tire.

I'm running 15/40 sprockets.

I met Peter Kates at Loudon last year - he helped me fix some crash damage - good guy.

In addition to his track duties, he's very involved off-road. He'd probably do a setup for free. I would be interested in the wheelset. What do you want for them? Straight? :naughty:

I read in your other post that you raised the forks a full inch in the triples. I think true motard suspension is stiffened and lowered internally so it isn't so squirelly. :) Loudon is a full on speed way too? I have an xr650r which I ride mostly on dirt but I do have some motard wheels I play with. I only change the stiffness on both comp and rb and it works ok for what I do.

My main reason for lowering the front was to compensate for lowering the rear, which would tend to slow the steer-in (or so I'm told). Still, I take your point about potential instability. It looks like this is going to take a lot of trial and error. As for Loudon, it's a regular roadracing circuit but definately more on the technical side. The Nascar track is a 1 mile elongated oval (technically a "superspeedway"), but the road circuit ducks in/out/over the hill and back, etc.

I spoke with a buddy who said often people put 2" spacers inside to keep them from extending all the way. Eitherway, you're going to have a BLAST and you're probably going to play with all the clickers and stuff. What kind of tires are you running and are you going to use this on the street too?

Yes, mainly street. I wish I could afford to go to the track every week.

Tires are Dunlop 208ZR - 160/60/17 and 120/60/17. Kudos to ECW on the fitment ... not perfect but dang close with just a couple millimeters to spare on either side in the rear.

I don't understand how the spacers would work - can you explain a bit?

As far as it being a BLAST, I have no doubt. I get a big kick of just working through all the little problems, nevermind the fun I'll have shredding the tires in the twisties.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I read the XR600/650 forum every day and the quality of the discussion is exceptional.

When I had my 650R tard I did not do anything to the rear suspension, the front I robbed off a CR500 motard and I think that it was lowered internally. I think that is the way it is normally done.

Can anyone comment on what happens to the geometry of the bike when you slap on 17's on the stock forks and stock triples. Is it necessary to use offset triple clamps? I have heard that running the 17's makes the bike want to tuck easy.