HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

Oil Changes

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering how often the oil screen at the bottom of the frame needs to be cleaned out. What size socket is required?

1999 WR

I recently checked this screen because I had heard some reports of them being packed with crap after only a short period of time.

Somewhat panicked, I checked mine for the first time with about 1000mi on the od and nothing. Perfectly clean.

So based upon my experience I won't be too concerned. Of course, maybe somebody else has had a different experience.

It is more important that you check it after the initial break-in period or first couple of rides.

I never did. I checked it around 1500 miles and only a very tiny amount of junk was there. Haven't checked it since.

Not sure of the wrench size but I do know one thing...you will have to pound on that thing to get it loose the first time. One of the reasons I never checked it early was because I couln't get it loose. I thought it was even welded shut. It actually looked like part of the frame. I finally just took a mallet to it and it finally came loose.

I cleaned mine the first few oil changes, and I found ALOT of junk in mine, metal from machining, even blue paint. The nut is 24mm,I believe. now that my bike has a few miles on it, I check the screen every 3rd oil change.