HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quincy

Is a 1985 XL600r a good year for this bike?

6 posts in this topic

I have a chance to buy a 1985 XL600r @ $1,200... is this a good commuter bike? Dual carb. Should I stay away from this year?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've heard these bikes have have a weak gear box, But thats just what I've heard and read........ :naughty:

I bought a 86 XR600R for 600 and my son has been riding it and its had no problems yet.......... :naughty:

I had an '86 XL600R for a long time, and the only negative comment is that they were atrocious starters (Ed Hertfelder will second me on that). And the worst was if the bike stalled before completely warming up, good luck finding a choke position that would get it started again. So my suggestion would be to start the bike several times, cold and hot, and see what your confidence level in the bike is then.

I have a chance to buy a 1985 XL600r @ $1,200... is this a good commuter bike? Dual carb. Should I stay away from this year?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

The 83 XL6 hun was probably the best of the model years. This was the first year for the RFVC motor. The later years had the carbs really leaned out. So if you put a pipe on them they would actually lose top end. I've had an '86 & an '83. The '86 ran o.k., but the used '83 I bought in '88 ran better in my opinion.

I've had 500R's, 600R's & now the 650L. The old kicker XL's are still my favorite. Never had any problems, cold or hot. Just remember to check the kill switch before you start kicking. One more tip, always turn the bars to the left just a bit. This way you won't destroy your knee cap when it kicks back. :naughty:

I beet the piss out of my 85 xr600r, get your rythem down when it comes to starting it and no problem.thing runs like a raped ape.oh ya dont fludd it!

'83-'87 Honda XL600R are essentially the same. However, the 1983 model is a first production bike so it holds more value. Other than that it is all the same. I have an '83 and '86 right now.