Rode a crf450 yesterday.

I never got into the crf vs yzf stuff because I had never ridden a crf. Well yesterday I had my chance. I have a 2000 yz426 and I rode a mates 03 crf450. The only thing I liked about it was the throttle response from the bottom when coming out of a bend. However, the power soon dropped off.

My bike has a bigger hit in the mid range and the power pulls for longer. The yzf suspension is a lot better. Believe it or not my front break was better.

Considering my bike is a 2000 426 and Honda waited until they got it right before they entered the 4 stroke arena I don't think they did that good of a job. Give me a yzf anyday.

the yz definately has more power but you cannot beat the handling of the crf. the ultimate bike would be to put a 03 yz450 engine into a crf 450 frame.

the yz definately has more power but you cannot beat the handling of the crf. the ultimate bike would be to put a 03 yz450 engine into a crf 450 frame.

The handling on the CRF450 has been shitty before 2005. What the hell are you talking about?

Ya they already did that, its called a RMZ450

The handling on the CRF450 has been shitty before 2005. What the hell are you talking about?

That's a ridiculous statement. My '04 CRF's handles great. A hundred times better than my YZ426 for sure. The old YZF is very solid and doesn't handle badly, but my 04 CRF blows it's doors off. It will easily turn under the YZF and can change lines quickly. Riding them back to back makes that VERY apparent. I don't think either bikes suspension is dialed in for every rider that jumps on them. I had the YZF forks revalved several times and it is still not as good as the stock CRF forks - and the revalved YZF fork is WAAAAY better than it was stock. But I had to have the CRF shock revalved to like it. It's a toss up on the rear, I think I like the revalved YZF shock over the revalved CRF, but that depends a bit on the tuner and how good they matched your requirements.

I know a YZ450 will handle better than a 426, but to say that the pre-05 CRF handling is "shitty" is just plain moronic.

That's a ridiculous statement. My '04 CRF's handles great. A hundred times better than my YZ426 for sure. The old YZF is very solid and doesn't handle badly, but my 04 CRF blows it's doors off. It will easily turn under the YZF and can change lines quickly. Riding them back to back makes that VERY apparent. I don't think either bikes suspension is dialed in for every rider that jumps on them. I had the YZF forks revalved several times and it is still not as good as the stock CRF forks - and the revalved YZF fork is WAAAAY better than it was stock. But I had to have the CRF shock revalved to like it. It's a toss up on the rear, I think I like the revalved YZF shock over the revalved CRF, but that depends a bit on the tuner and how good they matched your requirements.

I know a YZ450 will handle better than a 426, but to say that the pre-05 CRF handling is "shitty" is just plain moronic.

The CRF has always had excellent forks. Your point about the rear shocks is well taken. The '02 CRF was a nervous thing, in or out of a corner, and most people who knew why and could afford to offset the clamps right away. The '03 was better, but not great. But the '04 does handle awfully well, even though it isn't as well anchored in a turn as the YZF. It's certainly more nimble. In all, even though I still prefer the YZF, I have to agree with you.

Your now dirty

Go and wash seven times in the nearest river

Buy a new liter of Oil for your 426

and never speak about this agian :naughty:

I had the same experiance, not so impressed with the CRF

I lik emy 426

The only thing I like about the Honda vs. my 426 is the lighter feel of the bike. I've rode 2 different 04 CRF's, and while they are nice bikes I'm not going to rush out and trade my 426 for a CRF 450 or a YZ 450F for that matter. The 426 is solid and dead reliable. I may hang on to my 426 even after I upgrade to a 450... it's paid for and if I sold it I'd get raped on it, especially if the 06 gets the aluminum frame.

I concur with you cowboy...For the money- A 426 is awesome, Hence why I bought one in addition to my raptor- A good rider on a 426 can keep up with any good rider on a 450.

I have ridden an 03,04 and 05 CRF. They are all great bikes...but to me they lacked the "WOW" factor. They do everything really well but like the 05 YZ450 (which does everything really well) it did not leave a lasting impression. Maybe they are too easy to ride? LOL To me it was "yeah that was really nice" after riding them.

The CRF250 is a funner bike in my opinion.

so what you are saying is that your 1998 yz handles better than any crf prior to 2005? have you ever ridden a crf? i had a 1998 400 and the thing was a tank. i seriously doubt you have ever even ridden one crf. i definately prefer yamaha but to say that the honda doesnt have a better suspension is pure ignorance. that is what the hell im talking about.

I have ridden an 03,04 and 05 CRF. They are all great bikes...but to me they lacked the "WOW" factor. They do everything really well but like the 05 YZ450 (which does everything really well) it did not leave a lasting impression. Maybe they are too easy to ride? LOL To me it was "yeah that was really nice" after riding them.

After riding a 426 for 4 years (in your case), I'm not surprised by that. The 426, when it was new, was unlike anything else out there. In 02 the CRF hit, in 03 the blue 450... so by now the novelty is gone from a big bore 4 stroke MX bike. The red and blue 450's and even the 426 for that matter are just refined (or different, depending on how you want to look at it) versions of the YZ 400F. The "holy crap" factor has long since worn away.

I can't think of a 'bad' modern day mx'er.....they're all good...

I can't think of a 'bad' modern day mx'er.....they're all good...

hotdog....I'm with you

The "holy crap" factor has long since worn away.
I hear someone say "Holy Crap" just about everytime I ride my 450.

Oh wait, that's me! :naughty::D:D:naughty:

yup... i rode a buddies 426 before i got my bike and it gave me the wholy $hit factor for sure. but my honda does that for me too... i get tired of seeing people bash each others models. they are all good bikes and all have thier perks, and down falls. so ride ur color and dont be afraid to say " hey thats a nice bike " when it goes by, even if it is a different color! ha i just wanted to stir things up in here. anyway happy riding all

My bike is an '03 YZ450 with a 10oz flywheel weight and 47T rear sprocket. Today I went for a ride on an '05 KTM 450SX. You know what boys? I really liked it. It doesn't have the motor mine does, but it sure felt nice and light, especially the front end. I felt a little cramped on it, but with a taller seat who knows?

Before riding this KTM I had never really thought about buying one, I'm not so sure now.

I've been riding the blue machines since clear back when they were yellow and I love them, but Honda's have always handled a little better.

The 03 -0f5 now CRFs are hands down better in the handling and cornering department. To say their hadling is "sh!tty" proves you don't know how to ride!

I hear someone say "Holy Crap" just about everytime I ride my 450.

Oh wait, that's me! :D:naughty::D:naughty:

You have a point there... :D

Yes, but that bike isn't NEARLY as fun as a YZ250F.

CRF's are way to easy to ride, diminishing the fun factor completely.