HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
offrodeo

grinding grunt when letting the clutch out....

22 posts in this topic

On my 03 yzf450, when i put it in 1st gear and let out the clutch with a little power, it makes a crazy noise with a little hisitation. It feels like metal to metal in the cluthc pack. I dont notice it in any other gear except when start from a complete stop.

anyone have any ideas? im hoping its not a bad bearing

kevan

Stock '03 clutch? They are known for stuff like that. You can fix it with some '01 426 parts, or a GYT-R kit, which is a bunch of Hinson parts that you'll like a lot.

ive had the same thing happen it could be a broke plate or one of the tabs off the basket broke off once you have it apart youll be able to tell pretty quick thats any easy one either way

so is it a single disc that wore out or what? it doesnt slip at all.

kevan

Kevin the 03 had this issue with the clutch - do a search on YZF450 clutch fix - there is a ton of info on this - I went through it as most every 03 owner

I suggest the GYTR clutch kit and drilling more holes to the inner hub to increase oiling

or replace entirely with Hinson :naughty:

The GYT-R kit is a great deal. It comes with a longer actuator arm that reduces the clutch pull from two-men-and-a-bear to two fingers, too, but you can't use it without the other stuff. As I said earlier, the GYT-R clutch parts are Hinson, so you can shop between the two and see which way you save the most. Using the Hinson/GYT-R parts, the plates, pressure plate, and spring kit are the most important, provided the rest of the clutch is in good shape. Like Dave said, drilling 50% more holes in the center hub using the pattern of the ones already there is also a big factor.

So i opened up the clutch yesterday and it looks great. IT looks brand new. no scaring, no broken tabs no nothing. What i am thinking it is, is a bearing somewhere. What im thinking is a loose bearing going out of wack at lower speeds with torque added and then when i get up and go it works itself out. Get what im saying? Also it does rob me some power when taking off, well a little more than some.

can anyone tell me what bearing it could be?

how exspensive COULD this be?

oh and the oil filter is red and doesnt look paper, is this stock or an aftermarket one? can i re-use it? how do i clean?

kevan

Oh and the oil filter is red and doesnt look paper, is this stock or an aftermarket one? can i re-use it? how do i clean?

If the filter is any kind of paper it's not reuseable. did you buy the bike new or used? The best thing for a filter is to spend 53.99 and buy the Ready Filter Reusable Oil Filter and it also comes with a billet filter cover. the filter will last longer than your bike will and it's very easy to clean. as far as the noise from the clutch thats up in the air to me. I would replace my clutch plates and check the clucth basket for damage at the back gear on the basket. Maybe it's the 1st wheel gear missing some teeth? :)

it is a used bike. What i picturein my head is an out of round bearing getting stuck on the flat part and then not rolling. Could this be? I bought it used about a month ago.

i doubt its missing teeth, it doesnt do this any other time other than starting out in first gear.

kevan

maybe the roller bearing that the clutch basket rides on? worn friction plates(metal)? warped? worn pressure plate/basket? (where the clutches make contact) water pump bearing? you need to find the problem. i wouldn't be riding that thing (jumping) if i were you. let us know what you find. :)

It's NORMAL for the 03!!! Mine makes the same noise, after it's warmed up it kind of goes away. I put the 04 cable and arm on mine NO PROBS kinda grabs alittle But no biggie! Still original clutch!! :)

Forget what it looks like. If you had seen new '03 clutch in a new bike, the clutch would look perfect. Trouble is, it would still chatter and grab and grunt.

Try this before you spend any money on it. Put all the plates back facing in the opposite direction that they came out in, except for the one at the bottom of the stack. It should behave itself better for a week or two. Then you'll know it's the clutch.

Then, either do the '01 426 parts mod, or get a Hinson plate kit, and drill the clutch boss.

K, ill pull the clutch again and reverse them. When i looked at the clutch they looked like they never have been used, the metal plates look wonderfull and the other plates look brand new. IM pretty sure (i know)this isnt the original clutch, there would have to be some where if it was.

"after it's warmed up it kind of goes away"

it doesnt go away. It doesnt happen if i go easy on, but if i want to start out fast and hard, it grunts and kinds jerks around ... .. .... .............. and it also robs me of power until i get going. If it was the clutch i dont think it would take some power away, that is why i think its a bearing.

ill try to do it today, its suppose to rain for the next 3 days so ill see if my girl will let me open it up in the house (where it is now)

thanx guys

kevan

i owned an 03 YZ450F and never do i remember any thing like your describing. even before the clutch mod. from Yamaha. i also converted over to the 04' clutch cable routing. made the clutch pull like a 2fiddy 2-smoke. check that thing over good before something major happens. good luck man :)

i owned an 03 YZ450F and never do i remember any thing like your describing.
Many of the rest of us do...

My '00 makes the same sound, usually on the first take off of the day. After that, nothing.

ok, so yesterday i changed the oil on my bike

1st. How much oil do these things take? (havent got my manuel yet, payday is tommarow) I thought they took 1.8 quarts. I let warmed it up, dumped all the oil, put 1.5 quarts in there, started it, let it idle till warm. Took the dipstick out, it started pooring out. I was like crap.

2nd. I changed the oil and the grunt kinda went away. I put valvoline motorcycle oil that is made for high reving engines with a wet clutch, But it slipps more, but better. I talked to the previous owner he says he put yamalube in there. wierd. Ill test it more today and make sure things are ok

kevan

ok, so yesterday i changed the oil on my bike

1st. How much oil do these things take? (havent got my manuel yet, payday is tommarow) I thought they took 1.8 quarts. I let warmed it up, dumped all the oil, put 1.5 quarts in there, started it, let it idle till warm. Took the dipstick out, it started pooring out. I was like crap.

2nd. I changed the oil and the grunt kinda went away. I put valvoline motorcycle oil that is made for high reving engines with a wet clutch, But it slipps more, but better. I talked to the previous owner he says he put yamalube in there. wierd. Ill test it more today and make sure things are ok

kevan

You have to drain BOTH the frame oil tank AND the crankcase, and if you did not clean or change the oil filter , you have to reduce the amount of your oil fill by 100cc for that as well. The '03 models have a total capacity of 1.2 liters. They take 1.1 for an oil and filter change, and 1.0 for a change without a filter. You can go as high as 1.5 liters on an oil and filter change, but your dip stick readings will be way off.

What you probably did was not change the filter or drain the crankcase, then, when you added in 1.5 quarts, you were at something like 1.9 liters.

I drained both, I also pulled the filter. The filter looks like the K & N type filter (maroon color) and it wasnt paper so i cleaned it and put it back. On the oil filter cover, what type of gasket or seal is there to seal it on? I didnt seem to find one. So today ill start it up, let it warm up, let it sit for 5 min. check the dipstick add/subtract if needed.

kevan